True sizes for ABS and PVC pipes

Discussion in 'General Plumbing Help' started by Zanne, May 21, 2018.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating:

1. May 21, 2018 #1

Zanne

Zanne

Zanne

ChartSch40PVC.png ChartABSdrainage.png This is just a general guide. Actual pipe sizes may vary by manufacturer, but this should give a general idea of how large a hole needs to be drilled, what will fit, and help determine what pipe size you are dealing with if you can't find any markings.

Always remember to check your local jurisdictions for the trap arm lengths because sometimes they may differ from the standard IPC/UPC. Some places have a 72" limit for the 2" pipe, and larger pipes that are sloped at 1/4" per foot instead of 1/8" will have shorter runs.
    The developed trap arm length can not exceed one pipe diameter because it will block air flow and create a vacuum.

Sources for the information are listed in post #4.
    View attachment 17383 View attachment 17384 chartSch40CPVC.png

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2018
    tekoa and havasu like this.
  2. May 22, 2018 #2

havasu

havasu

havasu

Administrator Staff Member Admin

Thank you Zanne for your hard work compiling this chart!

Zanne likes this.
  3. May 22, 2018 #3

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member Admin

Wow, that is awesome. Thanks.

Zanne likes this.
  4. May 23, 2018 #4

Zanne

Zanne

Zanne

Thanks, Havasu! I would like to add that the sources for the information are Petersen Products https://www.petersenproducts.com/PVC-s/1986.htm for the PVC chart (which contains more information about the PVC-- including temperature tolerance ranges, wall thickness, larger pipe sizes, pressure tolerance, etc).

ABS info came from The Engineering Toolbox https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ABS-drainage-pipe-d_1732.html

UPC and IPC came from googling the codes and I would like to have a disclaimer that some jurisdictions may have local codes that supersede those rules, so it is always best to check. I do know that some places that use IPC have a limit of 6' instead of 8' for the 2" lines and that the developed length will have to be shorter if one uses 1/4" slope instead of 1/8" slope for the larger pipes. I want to add that the total developed length of the trap arm MUST be less than the nominal diameter of the pipe when sloped.

I'm thinking of doing a CPVC chart for water supply lines; It has the same outer diameter as PVC but a different inner diameter. I believe CPVC has thicker walls than PVC according to this site https://www.professionalplastics.com/professionalplastics/CPVCPipeSizesandSpecifications.pdf

I can try to convert that to the same type of chart if people don't want to load a .pdf

Editing because I forgot to mention that to find the wall thickness, subtract ID from OD. If you want to know the nominal OD of the female ends of the pipes (basically the part where it flares to allow another pipe to be inserted) you can add the wall thickness to the outer diameter to get an approximation to know how big of a hole to drill.

Editing again because I updated with a chart for CPVC. The PDF from Professional Plastics still has more pipe sizes and additional useful information.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    havasu likes this.
  5. Oct 25, 2018 #5

frodo

frodo

frodo

Just call me Macgyver Professional Supporting Member

6. Oct 25, 2018 #6

Diehard

Diehard

Diehard

@Zanne ...Just looked at this info for the first time and have a couple of question/comments.

What does this mean, "The developed trap arm length can not exceed one pipe diameter because it will block air flow and create a vacuum."
    Was this suppose to be referring to the "minimum" distance from the trap weir to the vent, not being less then one pipe diameter?

Also, where your charts headings read, "Medium Trap Arm Length", I believe that may have been a typo for Minimum Trap Arm Length.

Also, in your charts, you show the trap arms lengths for both the UPC and the IPC but then you show a slope per foot that only pertains to the IPC.

EDIT: Just looking at that first statement again and realized it must be referring to the total drop of the trap arm can not exceed the diameter of the pipe. That of course would block the air flow as you stated. But of course the codes have taken a more conservative approach by dictating the maximum length for a particular pipe size and it's required slope.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Zanne likes this.
  7. Oct 26, 2018 #7

Jamesplumbing06

Jamesplumbing06

Jamesplumbing06

Hey while have some smart guys here. I am currently installing a trench drain system for a food factory and on our 6” drain installed 2” tee to come up with a tee , trap and studor. Just a 3 compartment for washing production machine parts. So the foreman and owner have a mentor come in. Tells us we gotta put the trap below concrete grade. Can’t be above. ??Something about food borne bacteria getting into the sink. In fear of looking like an idiot I stayed silent and asked if I could do some research. I can’t find anything on internet about below grade trap for 3 compartment sink. So here I am. This mentor sold , the owner , this used equipment and as I turned around to see the sinks. They still had plumbing attached and there was a trap. He quickly said must have one below and above. Then changed to each basket needs a trap. This sink came from a restraunt. I dunno what to do at this point. I feel like this guy is just full of himself and trying to create bull po. Lol so I asking y’all before I go in with horns on fire tomorrow.

8. Oct 26, 2018 #8

Diehard

Diehard

Diehard

It doesn't make any sense that putting a trap below concrete grade would prevent food borne bacteria getting into the sink.
    I know restaurant sinks typically want to drain through an air gap into a trapped floor sink and generally don't have a trap on the sink itself. But I could accept that something could be critical enough to require a trap on the sink drain, also so as to prevent the common fumes from the floor sink from rising back up into the trapped sink drains.
    But again, requiring a trap below concrete grade thinking it would prevent food borne bacteria from getting into the sink, just doesn't make any sense to me.
    You have to get him to explain slowly exactly what his thinking is. In a polite way of course.:D
    I think he may be a bit confused.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  9. Oct 26, 2018 #9

Jamesplumbing06

Jamesplumbing06

Jamesplumbing06

Yeah he gonna have to explain. “The trench drain that was engineered to local and national food production. The trench drain is tied into a 6” main intersecting 4 of the trenches going outside into a 1500 gallon grease trap before tiring into 8” sewer. We have “on site “added a running trap outside right behind a 2 way clean out. 4” Dry vent ,San tee rolled on 45 then plumbed up side of building in cast iron for looks and durability. But we never thought of bacteria. The bacteria can easily get into trench. Why is the sink suddenly a worry??. “ that’s about as nice as I can be.they will be dumping cleaning and disinfectant thru it constantly if they cleaning the machines correctly. ? Right. And a fitting below concrete is just a risk.

10. Oct 30, 2018 #10

Zanne

Zanne

Zanne

I can't edit my posts anymore. But I'll try to fix some of the images later. Got a massive headache right now but will try to address questions and such later. Making a note of it to myself though. I'll try not to procrastinate too long.

frodo likes this.
  11. Oct 31, 2018 #11

wood4d

wood4d

wood4d

double trap? Never seen a code that allows that

12. Oct 31, 2018 #12

Jamesplumbing06

Jamesplumbing06

Jamesplumbing06

Me either. And it will force the creation of an s trap. So double fail. I dunno what this guy wants. He is conveniently on vacation. In the middle of a 4 million dollar build.

13. Oct 31, 2018 #13

Diehard

Diehard

Diehard

I was envisioning an indirect drain from a sink trap to a trapped trench drain or floor sink, when trying to figure out what they were looking for.

14. Oct 31, 2018 #14

Jamesplumbing06

Jamesplumbing06

Jamesplumbing06

I see ya. We may need the air gap but surly not 2 traps

15. Oct 31, 2018 #15

Diehard

Diehard

Diehard

When I was trying to speculate, in my mind, as to why, I was thinking that the air break won't stop any fumes from entering the sink drain. Hence the added trap at the sink as well.
    Purely speculation on that guys thinking. Whether it's really necessary, is another question.o_O

16. Oct 31, 2018 #16

Jamesplumbing06

Jamesplumbing06

Jamesplumbing06

Yeah I trying find his logic too. We find out in 4 days when he returns Monday

17. Nov 8, 2018 #17

Zanne

Zanne

Zanne

I fixed the typo in the charts.

ChartABSdrainage.png ChartSch40PVC.png

Frodo, do you want me to take screenshots of the charts in the pdf and put them in image form, or do you want me to convert them to colored charts like the ones I did here?
    I will need to get a moderator to edit my original post with the changes. Done

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2018
  18. Nov 14, 2018 #18

Zanne

Zanne

Zanne

Thanks for fixing the first post, Havasu!

19. Nov 26, 2018 #19

Diehard

Diehard

Diehard

Appreciate the thought but I didn't have any plumbing problem questions. Just trying to figure out what some person was looking for and why.
    I've been doing my own plumbing(right or wrong) for 60+ years.:eek:

Zanne likes this.
  20. Dec 1, 2018 #20

Zanne

Zanne

Zanne

It was just spam. He posted links to his site in multiple threads.

Diehard likes this.