Troubleshooting a Tank Alert Alarm

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RubberBullets

Reaction score
Hello, Let me start off by saying thank you in advance for any help you could give me with my situation.

Background:

I have a 12 yr old two tank septic system (1000gal/2500gal) in the NY/NJ area. I had the solid tank pumped, and roughly 2-3 weeks post pumping the tank alert went off. Had the septic company come out again to investigate. He opened the 2nd (liquids?) tank and the level was low (as I assume normal operating levels would be). There was a small to moderate amount of solids found in that tank, but was advised it had to be pumped anyhow to inspect. I assume the solid overrun came from the home's previous owner as I bought the house 6 years old and have pumped it regularly since.

After the 2nd tank was pumped, the serviceman grabbed and extension pole and lifted up on the floats. This in turn activated the pump and seemed like all was normal. The response or reason I got for the tank alarm was potentially a malfunction of the pump, or sensor in the float that caused the tank alert to go off. He left stating that if the alarm went off within the next two weeks, the problem is certainly worse than if it would go off after being the solid tank had to fill again, but the only thing he could conjur up as a solution would be a pump replacement.

So my question is are there any ways to narrow down if the pump is the issue, the sensors from the float, or the tank alert itself? Id hate to have him come back to replace the pump if there is a simple, or less expensive fix to be had. Thank you for your time and expertise.

If the tank with the pump fills above the float switch level then I would say you have a problem. To determine if it is the pump or switch bypass the switch. If the pump comes on then it is the switch. If it doesn't come on then there is a problem with the pump. That doesn't mean that the pump is bad as it could also be jammed with something.

John

Back