Trouble with toilet flushing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themug21

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been having trouble with my toilet for a while now. Sometimes it flushes very slowly and sometimes not at all. I don't believe its clogged. I've run a snake all the way down it a bunch of times and when I dump a bucket of water in the bowl it goes right down. The tank fills as full as it can possibly go and the holes underneath the rim flow just fine and the flapper seems to be functioning just fine. Most of the time the bowl fills 3/4 of the way and slowly drains to its normal level. I can't figure it out but yesterday I went down into the basement and the drain coming from that bathroom goes straight down and the angles UP into the main line that goes to my septic tank. I'm assuming that should be angled down so gravity takes it into the main line. Not sure how it got this way but I'm thinking that is my problem. Before I start cutting pipe I wanted to check in for any input from someone who knows more about this than I do. Thanks in advance!!

DSCN1605.jpeg

Is that line that slopes the wrong way your toilet discharge line?

What size is it? A toilet drain has to be a minimum of 3".

What size is your drain line to the septic tank? If that is your toilet discharge, and it is a 3" line, then the picture would then seem to indicate that your main drain is a 6" at least which seems a little large for most applications. And if that is your toilet discharge line and it is 3", then that is a big part of your problem. But that's not all. The fitting that connects that pipe to your main sewer line appears to be a simple reducing tee. That fitting should be a reducing combination wye & 1/8 bend 45, or a reducing wye and a 45-degree fitting. That too is an issue that needs to be addressed.

MicEd, you asked the same question that I was going to ask. In the picture the pipe looks like a lav line. Plus dead heading
right into that tee.

Back