Trouble removing old flange

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weidbrewer

Reaction score
Hi! New poster, but I'm hoping someone might be able to help. My house is mid-60s area, one previous owner and as usual, I keep uncovering boneheaded previous repairs. Toilet was leaking and I discovered that the floor was rotten around it. When I pulled up the tiles, I could see that they'd replaced the floor before, but obviously couldn't get the flange off, because there was a hole cut around it.

Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat. I can't find any seam around the top between the flange and the pipe:
PXL_20211120_155134758.jpg

...but from underneath, I can see that it is definitely sleeved around the pipe:

PXL_20211120_155415355~2.jpg

What is the proper procedure here? I can install a new one and replace the floor...it'd be annoying to have to call in a plumber just to remove the flange.

Thanks!

Can't really see the piping u der the flange I'm guessing it's cast iron if it is cat iron it's a poured lead joint there are 2 things you can do 1. Drill the lead out and use some oakum and lead wool to re install
2.cut it from below......if there is room(with a saw all with the proper blades,) and put it back in PVC...

It’s a brass flange soldered onto copper pipe. You’ll need a torch

It’s a brass flange soldered onto copper pipe. You’ll need a torch

That's exactly what I was afraid of.

Now, I'm 90% sure that the only reason the old one was leaking was because the previous owners had the flange IN the floor, rather than on top and the toilet wasn't seated properly. Think I would be okay just keeping this one there and replacing the floor around it? (By which I mean two pieces of flooring, each with half the hole, fitted around it and across the joists.)

You could replace the floor around it if you’re accurate with your cuts. The bottom of the flange should sit on top of the finished flooring. The flange should be anchored and not move.

You could replace the floor around it if you’re accurate with your cuts. The bottom of the flange should sit on top of the finished flooring. The flange should be anchored and not move.
Yup, that part I was clear on, I just wasn't sure if my thinking around the problem was sound, or if the answer would be, "No, you lazy idiot, you HAVE to replace the flange!"

Thank you for confirming. (I am definitely far more of a carpenter than a plumber - so if a problem can be solved with wood, I'm a lot more confident.)

It's nice to dip into a forum with friendly, helpful people.

Changing that flange out would be a challenge even for a plumber. Not a lot of room between the flange and first fitting.

Latest posts

Back