Trouble remove bathroom faucet cardridge metal cover

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dearboy

Reaction score
Bathroom faucet is drippin. Its hot water side, I tried to remover the cardridge cover nut but its not moving at all, i think.its stuck. Have try wd40 rust oil, CLR cleaner but its still tight and not move at all. Any idea or tool to open it?thanms

Attachments

• 20200624_112815.jpg
    20200624_112815.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20200624_112659.jpg
    20200624_112659.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Bathroom faucet is drippin. Its hot water side, I tried to remover the cardridge cover nut but its not moving at all, i think.its stuck. Have try wd40 rust oil, CLR cleaner but its still tight and not move at all. Any idea or tool to open it?thanms

The handle will come off by un screwing the Phillips screw and pulling the handle up. You might have to wiggle and pull if it’s stuck on.

The top chrome hex cartridge cover should spin off the brass body revealing the cartridge inside the brass valve body. Use an adjustable wrench on top to spin the chrome hex cartridge cover.

Hopefully the brass hot cartridge body was installed tight to the porcelain sink. You don’t want to spin the entire brass casing located underneath because it will break the seal of the 3/8” nut connecting the hot water to the faucet (shown second picture) and start a leak.

The tool used on the underside of the sink to tighten the hot and cold cartridge bodies is a basin wrench. It takes a little practice but easy enough. Hopefully you can manage a cartridge replacement all from the top.

C2E120CE-13D8-4656-9D03-B8542A614AC1.jpeg

Thanks for reply, I tried to use adjustable wrench to remove chrome hex cartridge cover but it stuck badly not move at all. I also use hammer to hit the cover but still tightened. I dont know if theres other tools can open hex cover beside adjustable wrench.

Attachments

• 20211124_233700.jpg
    20211124_233700.jpg
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for reply, I tried to use adjustable wrench to remove chrome hex cartridge cover but it stuck badly not move at all. I also use hammer to hit the cover but still tightened. I dont know if theres other tools can open hex cover beside adjustable wrench.

There are other tools Try to get your hands on a 1/2” drive socket set with a appropriate size socket. Will give you more leverage.

Whatever you do, don’t let the entire valve body turn.

I might would clamp some visegrips under the cabinet top up high on the valve body.

Brace them against the lavatory, the valve body would try to turn counterclockwise. Don’t let that happen.

Grab a cheap set of deep tub sockets and some channelocks. You could even just use channelocks since the chrome finish is already ruined.

Whatever you do, don’t let the entire valve body turn.

I might would clamp some visegrips under the cabinet top up high on the valve body.

Brace them against the lavatory, the valve body would try to turn counterclockwise. Don’t let that happen.

Grab a cheap set of deep tub sockets and some channelocks. You could even just use channelocks since the chrome finish is already ruined.
Okay!thanks for advice

Latest posts

Back