Trap Primer Line Problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rossjay85

Reaction score
I have a trap primer line that feeds off of my laundry room sink. From the sink faucet it goes down to the basement into a 5/8” rubber hose which is 19ft long emptying into a floor drain. My understanding is it’s to keep it filled with water to prevent sewage gas from coming up into the house. I’ve never had any issues with the trap primer until recently. I started noticing large puddles of water around the 5/8” rubber hose where the trap primer line enters. When I run the laundry room taps, water pours out of the rubber hose where the trap primer line enters the 5/8” rubber hose, but it also pours out the other end into the floor drain. I thought there was a blockage, however, a ½” drain snake passes all the way through the 5/8” rubber hose with no problem. The trap primer line goes 5 ft into the rubber hose, so there is definitely enough line in there. I have no idea why water is coming out of both ends. Any insight here would be helpful.

trap primer line diagram.jpg

water pours out here.jpg

water also pours out here.jpg

It probably has sludge in it.

connect a shop vac to the black pipe going into the slab and suck it out.

Or connect a water hose some how to the black plastic where you can pressurize the line with water.

Or the feed form teh sink has changed, and it is feeding it more water than it used to.

Latest posts

Back