TPR drained into a basin with an air gap?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratphink

Reaction score
FAAF3169-C949-4364-BBF9-B567E2779515.jpeg
48C22CF6-D5B1-4E26-A643-3C4C731ACDF8.jpeg

had a friend trying to sell a house. They asked if I could take care of a laundry list of “code violations,” that the buyer wanted addressed.
This was the only one that got me stumped.
The home inspector didn’t like that the relief valve drained into the crawl.
No way to slope to outside.

IRV 2803.6.1

Am I correct in that my only options were to dump it into the waste system, or install a watts 210 with a relief valve upstairs that drained to outside?

The latter was more than I was willing to take on. So this is my attempt at the former.
I know that the basin is typically a mop, shower or laundry-room sink, but I figured this would be fine. It drains into 2” vent just before it enters the sump/pump tank. The vent runs straight to the roof with nothing else tied in.

I would like to know what you all think. Was there an easier or more elegant way to solve this problem? The watts 210 route just seem like way to much overkill.

I like it. The only thing would be keeping that trap primed.

There was no form of a floor drain?

What is that skinny white pvc, and where is it from and going to?

The crawl space?

Is that the abandoned tpr drain?

If so, it should be removed.

I wouldn’t be able to live with that without a trap primer.

The white pipe is the 3/4” pvc drain for the AC condensate. It just drains into the dirt right there. In truth it is much more of a real issue than the TPR that will most likely never open. But the inspector didn’t mention it and I’m not going to make waves with my friends real estate sell.

originally before I got on-site I had hoped to find a floor drain run into the sump, but there was nothing there and the only inlet seemed to be a single 3” drain that was buried.

I too was concerned about keeping the trap wet, but my friend just needs it to pass. The new owner, I’m sure will cap it and run the drain back to the ground the first time the trap dries up and the house starts to stink.

If they ran the pvc into that same collector, it would stay wet all year, problem solved.

Assuming it also collects furnace condensate or humidifier drainage, I did not check profile for the city or state.

Ok I checked, does AZ ever need furnace heat?

I would guess it does.

I don’t know how much humidity is being pulled out of the air in arid AZ when the A/C is running. Probably very little else running the drain to the crawlspace floor turn that place into a swamp. I know here in North Carolina between the furnace condensate and the air conditioner, the HVAC system is constantly generating water.

Latest posts

Back