Total plumbing noob here.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregTheC

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Hey, I’m new to this forum. I stink at plumbing so please be kind!

I’m handy but I don’t do roofs, electric and plumbing. I always run into trouble with plumbing so I always hire licensed and insured plumbers. Yesterday, my guy installed new sink and faucet (specifically a Kraus KPF1610). After he left, I was playing around with the new faucet and I noticed the water pressure was appreciably lower. I googled around and several people were suggesting taking out the check valve in the nozzle. I tried that and the water flow was back to normal (much better).

Here is my question: How important is this little part? (See image below, circled) Do I understand that in kitchen faucets check valves are build in and this plastic part is redundant? I’ve attached a picture from the manual with the plastic valve circled. I live in Philadelphia so it’s treated water, not well water. The faucet works much better without this part so I’m hoping your answers is, nah, you don’t need it!

Ok, that’s it. In advance, thanks so much for your help!

Greg

full

The check valve prevents contaminated/dirty water from flowing back in to the water supply. It looks like it's one of those pull-down faucets which means it could potentially rest inside a pot or in the sink basin while it is full. Without the check valve, it could allow the dirty water to flow back in to your water supply. At least that is my understanding of it.
Frodo would know more about it. For now, I would put it back in just-in-case. If it is not too much of a pain to remove, you can take it out when you need higher pressure & put it back when you are done just to be on the safe side.
I'm hoping Frodo or one of the others will weigh in though.

The check valve is in case the nozzle was left submerged in contaminated/dirty water and has the potential of being sucked back into the water piping if there was a loss in pressure or actually a negative pressure. For example a break in main somewhere.
If you never leave it submerged, I wouldn't worry about it.
Similar to garden hoses and the like that are not equipped to prevent backflow.

Hi Folks,

There’s a dramatic difference between the water pressure with the check valve in vs having out. The attached photo of the faucet shows the faucet head, check valve, a another rubber washer (with a small hole), and the 2nd aerator. Do you think the small-holed-rubber washer is part of the problem as well? Isn’t there also a check valve built into cartridge/valve? If you really think I need it, I’ll defer to your advice but my wife will not be happy!

Again, thanks for your help on this.

Greg

Attachments

• 01F443FE-3483-4BED-9A14-30EC8B867E88.jpeg
    01F443FE-3483-4BED-9A14-30EC8B867E88.jpeg
    499.4 KB · Views: 17
Ah, just read the part where you said, “I wouldn’t worry about it” That helps. Thanks.

EDITED: One of their documents says. "Flow Rate: 1.8 gpm (6.8L/min) @ 60 psi"
So there may be some water conservation thinking in their design, as well.
I wouldn't hesitate calling them and getting their opinion on the pressure loss, etc.

If that screen represents the aerator, I'd think twice about removing the screen. If you wanted to try it without the screen, just substitute a washer. However, I don't think that constitutes a problem until it clogs a bit. But you've probably already realized that.

Last edited:
Frodo, yup, the parts you marked for discarding I had already left out and that’s what restored the wp pressure to what it was before. I’ll take another look at that screen and check valve for sand. Per Diehard’s suggestion, I’ll contact Kraus and see what they say as well.
Thanks again Guys.

Latest posts

Back