Total Garage Remodel

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRad704

Moderation
Reaction score
Again, not a plumbing project, but I still like showing off what I'm working on...

Our garage has gotten junky, and the walls were all scuffed up, and the floor is just plain concrete, the shelves are ugly, and I want to change it ALL...

So, I got 2 gallons of the off-colored paint at HD, the ones that people didnt like and rejected... $5 each! instead of paying $30/gal for new... One was light grey, and the other was a yellowy tan color and I just combined them in a bucket to get the color you see below.

The shelves are going to get a pine "skin" put over them, and they will be stained a dark walnut color.

The floor is going to be Behr, Giant Sequoia with tan flakes. It is a dark reddish color to match our stain kitchen concrete floor.

I dont have any pics of the old garage stuff, but picture the average crap-filled garage with mower, bikes, future garage sale stuff etc...

The new color! I still have to edge in teh top, and paint the trim white this week...

2010-03-29%2009.33.10.jpg

2010-03-29%2009.32.48.jpg

Cool project. You should get a bike rack.

Cool project. You should get a bike rack.

I feel like I own a bike SHOP!

The bikes is what I am still wondering about... They used to hang on the 4 hooks over by the water heater, but I dont want to hang them again. it marks up the wall too much. I would love to get a shed to put stuff in, and they would live there unless it was nice outside.

I wish my garage was that clean. I think you should build a shed for the bikes.

Just make sure you don't place a washer and dryer in there like I did, cuz these guys in here will give you the same crap they gave me! :p

I wish my garage was that clean. I think you should build a shed for the bikes.
That's what I keep telling my wife... she's not going for it yet...

Just make sure you don't place a washer and dryer in there like I did, cuz these guys in here will give you the same crap they gave me! :p

Nope, none of that! They already have their own walkin room. That will be next on the renovation list after the garage.

I feel like I own a bike SHOP!

The bikes is what I am still wondering about... They used to hang on the 4 hooks over by the water heater, but I dont want to hang them again. it marks up the wall too much. I would love to get a shed to put stuff in, and they would live there unless it was nice outside.

That would be nice. There's a couple of places by my house that are running spring sales. You may be able to pick one up cheap. Fail that you could build one.

Before the shed, I am more worried about finding cheap kitchen base-cabinets.... We are gonna go look at the Habitat for Humanity Restore next weekend and see what we can find.

Garage all cleaned out, walls painted, trim painted again, shelves were about 2" off at the top from being straight (got that fixed too). Last night I bought some masonry caulk/filler, and filled all the cracks in the floor, and loaded up the trailer with stuff to get it out of the way... I'm getting WAY excited about painting this weekend!!!! Since we got paid today, we'll be going back to the HD to get two of the Behr 2-part epoxy kits in Giant Sequoia color!

Tonite will be stripping/cleaning time, and early tomorrow morning, the painting will commence!

2010-04-08%2018.15.53.jpg

2010-04-08%2018.16.03.jpg

Did you have any success on used cabinets at your Habitat for Humanity store? Our local HFH store only has random, broken down cabinets. BTW, What color is "Giant Sequoia?" It sounds like it should be green, but I believe you mentioned a tan color? The epoxy floor is one of the best things I have done to my garage. I recently had an oil drip from a fresh oil change, and it wiped up quickly with just a paper towel!

It's lookin good, I can't wait to see the floors done. The HFH restore here in Temecula had a boat load of Lowes display cabinets last week cheap, I would have bought a few but my garage is already packed tight. I can't wait until I get to redo my garage I am thinking instead of the shelves I have around all the walls I will put up kitchen cabinets all around to free up as much floor space as possible. I am way jelous of your guys garages but I can only do seven projects at once.

I just had a great idea Brad, why don't you build a shed inside your garage? Maybe come three feet off one of the walls and run the length so you can still have all the bikes in there and not see them? You would loose some of you room but not have to worry about seeing the things you don't want to see when hanging out in there. It would be very cheap as well you could probably build a wall and drywall it for around a hundred or two.

001.jpg

Not to jack another thread, but I built a small room just outside the garage where I keep all my bikes and other crap I never use anymore! :p

Good idea on the extra space, but I cant go in any direction with my garage walls... :(

Here's my weekend update...

$299.31 in wood and epoxy and incedentals.
2010-04-10%2007.22.50.jpg

2010-04-10%2007.23.04.jpg

2010-04-10%2007.23.11.jpg

Framing around the shelves
2010-04-10%2008.18.17.jpg

Painted hinges and screw heads with Hammered Dark Bronze... GREATEST spray can paint EVER!
2010-04-10%2009.00.37.jpg

2010-04-10%2009.47.26.jpg

Doors hung and Dark Walnut stain applied...
2010-04-10%2016.04.59.jpg

2010-04-10%2016.05.13.jpg

I even got my wife to help all weekend! :D The floor had to be pre-wet before acid etching
2010-04-10%2016.50.41.jpg

Halfway there
2010-04-11%2009.37.21.jpg

2010-04-11%2009.37.33.jpg

2010-04-11%2010.59.21.jpg

2010-04-11%2010.59.32.jpg

2010-04-11%2011.00.03.jpg

That looks great! Was that epoxy a custom color? I really like it. I had to chuckle when I saw where you ended the epoxy next to the driveway. I did exactly the same. When the garage is shut, it all looks so uniform, but when the garage is opened, it looks like you missed the last 8"- 10". I guess everyone who epoxies their floor have this same concern!

That looks great! Was that epoxy a custom color? I really like it. I had to chuckle when I saw where you ended the epoxy next to the driveway. I did exactly the same. When the garage is shut, it all looks so uniform, but when the garage is opened, it looks like you missed the last 8"- 10". I guess everyone who epoxies their floor have this same concern!

Thanks! the Behr 2-part kits at HD are tintable to about 40 different colors. I think I should have gone with something more brown, but oh well, its a VAST improvement over what it was before. This color is called Giant Sequoia, and it used the silver base, so the kit came with grey chips. We had to buy 2 bags of tan chips...

We couldnt really figure out the best place to stop it, so in my tiredness, made the executive decision to just end it there...

Here's what I think I want to do for a bar-area in teh garage... on the left wall about halfway...

the idea is that I use the extra brick (that matches the floor) to build up a 2 - 3' base, then build a wooden cabinet on top of that. Inside this cabinet will be the countertop (hopefully 3/4" ply with skimcoat of dark colored concrete ala Chris' inspriation)... This will hinge at about 48" from floor, and open downward to be the bar-top... Inside will be some sort of metal sign on teh back, and under the bar top, I could add doors to hold my dart stuff... When finished, just lift the bartop back to vertical and insert pin to hold it in place...

Sounds easy enough to me...

2010-04-12%2011.42.54.jpg

I dont even see the line.. I'm too distracted by the really nice looking brick border... I have some left over bricks in the garage since we moved in (I'm assuming from construction), and perhaps I could do something like that to cover my line... Hmmm... They'll have to be cut to the proper thickness, but it could still hide where I stopped painting...

Yeah, hindsight being 20/20, I think I would have rather painted the epoxy all the way up to the bricks, to avoid the 9" unpainted strip. How about you?

Latest posts

Back