Toilet water keeps running

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alxbz

Reaction score
I woke up to the sound of the toilet water running, in inspecting it it looked like the flush valve was letting water through. After adjusting it the water is still filling up and overflowing, even when I manually lift the flush valve all the way to the top the water keeps pouring. Trying to figure out exactly what's going on do I need to replace the flush valve? 1.png 2.png 3.png 2.png

Yes replace the valve. Correct me if I’m wrong but that blue valve is called the fill valve. Buy a new one and take some photos of your toilet to make sure you get the right one.

Low bowl or low tank?

Low bowl level, the bow fills then slowly gets really low. have had the entire toilet replaced previously it was mentioned it might be something with the vent?

It could be the vent is blocked, but that is pretty rare.
Yes, a birds’s nest or dead animal, tennis ball, whatever, could be clogging it, so the drain can’t get air and gets sucked down as water is flowing away.

But I have usually found that issue is caused by a partial drain line blockage.

There could be a log jam of paper and poop a few yards down the line.
Or a bar of soap, hair curlers, Matchbox cars, make up bottle, mixed with TP and partially blocking the flow.

That can create a siphon effect, which pulls water through the toilet trap.

It could be the vent is blocked, but that is pretty rare.
Yes, a birds’s nest or dead animal, tennis ball, whatever, could be clogging it, so the drain can’t get air and gets sucked down as water is flowing away.

But I have usually found that issue is caused by a partial drain line blockage.

There could be a log jam of paper and poop a few yards down the line.
Or a bar of soap, hair curlers, Matchbox cars, make up bottle, mixed with TP and partially blocking the flow.

That can create a siphon effect, which pulls water through the toilet trap.

Hmm well in my case it was an issue since the toilet was installed everything was new, I had the entire toilet replaced under warranty and have not put paper etc down the toilet (I live alone). It was mentioned that it was possible that the vent was working to good for my system..? And was advised to try covering it some, not sure.

Something big and solid could have gone down the drain in the past, and finally is getting built up like a beaver dam, with paper and poop.

Also, something could have gone down there during installation.

Didn’t your brand new toilet have a bad fill valve, that you just had replaced?

Sounds like the toilet and/or the plumbers who installed your toilet might have been less than top quality.

I've noticed a lot of newer toilets have bowl levels that look low. Test it by slowly pouring in a quart of water or so to see if you can bring the water to a higher stable level. Whatever level you reach is the what the geometry of the bowl requires to seal the trap, and you can't have it any higher.

Didn’t your brand new toilet have a bad fill valve, that you just had replaced?

Sounds like the toilet and/or the plumbers who installed your toilet might have been less than top quality.

I've had the toilet for a year this month had been living with the low level toilet bowl it's a minor annoyance but would be nice to get it fixed. The fill valve I believe was filled with gunk from being on rather hard well water and gave up after about a year. I guess it is possible that something may have gone down during installation, to give more insight I'm living in a tiny house on wheels which was all built last year.

How old is this toilet? Seems very problematic.
The original was put in around sept of last year and was replaced by the warranty because of the issue but still the issue persists so trying to figure out what else it could be.

I've noticed a lot of newer toilets have bowl levels that look low. Test it by slowly pouring in a quart of water or so to see if you can bring the water to a higher stable level. Whatever level you reach is the what the geometry of the bowl requires to seal the trap, and you can't have it any higher.
Yes this is a low flow toilet however it is way to low the bowl fills up and then slowly drains down to a very small amount of water, I'm thinking it might be vent related as the water seems to be pulled out from the bowl.

That very slow draining down of the water level in the bowl is often caused by a partial blockage in the drain line.
It can cause suction, which pulls water through the toilet trap.

Usually caused by a partial log jam of poop and paper.
Or lipstick, kids’ toy, curlers, bar of soap, mixed with poop and paper.

Or a lack of venting to the drain line.
So the draining flush water has to pull air from the bathroom as it falls away, and some toilet bowl water goes with it.

When the flush finishes, and a few moments later the bowl stops filling, there should be no more changes to the level of water in the bowl.

Unless the fill valve is sending way to much refill water to the bowl.

But even then, that extra water should drain down in only a few seconds.

Latest posts

Back