Toilet Vent and Wall Size

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was referring to your statement (The only way I would wet vent a toilet would be on a conventional set up. With a 3 x 1/2 san tee arming over for the lav then reducing after the santee to 2" and vtr) There would be no reason to run the 3" up to the lav arm. It could be all 2". What I said is the conventional was fine. And that the other wasn't UNLESS there was lav fixture connecting to it. In most cases that would be a arm off the 2" for a lav. I couldn't see by your drawing if there was a arm or not.

John

Everything is different in each state and town nevertheless. U r always better off checking with your inspectors for that town. And yes 3" does fit in a 2 by 4 wall, but fittings don't. And how can u put a cleanout in a closed wall? If its not accessible u can't. And access panels.look like ****!! I know someone that his boss wants him to put a cleanout with every fixture!!?? To me that's cleanout happy. Not needed, in my opinion.

bnut1973 said:
Everything is different in each state and town nevertheless. U r always better off checking with your inspectors for that town. And yes 3" does fit in a 2 by 4 wall, but fittings don't. And how can u put a cleanout in a closed wall? If its not accessible u can't. And access panels.look like ****!! I know someone that his boss wants him to put a cleanout with every fixture!!?? To me that's cleanout happy. Not needed, in my opinion.

nobody said anything about putting a cleanout in a closed wall.? and from a service mans perspective cleanouts and access panels are his best friend. Cleanout everything

And I am aware 3" fittings do not fit in a 2 x 4 wall therefore I would not use the 3" pipe lol. Im a firm believer in access panels, cleanouts and big walls. Everything I ever see is done at the minimum and it drives me insane. Just do good work!!!

You must not do repair work. Clean outs are needed. As far as putting them in a closed walls you don't need large access panels. Here is a link to a very easy way to provide access to them.
http://www.ipscorp.com/testtite/mechanicalplugs/coverplates

John

Both top and bottom of this drawing are to code if following the UPC. The top isn't a 'flat' vent, it's a horizontal offset below flood level rim, which is fine as long as you use all drainage fittings, ie long sweep 90's etc.

If following the IPC, the top is a not gonna fly as all vents must be vertical, although you might be able to make a case for a wet vent if you had a lav draining into it.

as a service plumber i must say that cleanouts are awesome.

as far as the venting is concerned under canadian code a wet vent serving a W.c. must be 2" in size minimum. this means that the piping up to the lav sani t would be 2" and can then reduce to 1 1/2 " above the sani t.

under canadian code. flat vents must use drainage fittings and have cleanouts installed. they must also come off above the horizontal centerline of the pipe they are venting to avoid being plugged and also to vent properly ( this is a code that I and john have discussed much over many threads ) So our code does allow for a flat vent in some circumstances although Im in complete agreement with john that it is always better to wet vent the W.c. ( ie. wash the vent )

Back