Toilet Tank Noise

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianW2020

Reaction score
Hello

I’ve been having issues with my toilet tank for a few months ago. There is a hissing sound where water is slowly leaking, probably around a seal. The mechanics inside the tank are different than what I’ve had before. I can’t seem to attach a video but here is a picture. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 504D3ABF-AB91-42AF-85A4-6EC4854771FB.jpeg
    504D3ABF-AB91-42AF-85A4-6EC4854771FB.jpeg
    388.1 KB · Views: 23
Change the flapper and ballcock assembly it should go away use a fluid master ballcock they are very common

Thanks. The water shutoff valve is plastic and different than the metal ones I had in previous houses. Attached is a picture. So how do I turn off the water to replace the flapper and ballcock?

Attachments

• 19FA91A8-9C7F-4268-AD2E-74264D6B7B79.jpeg
    19FA91A8-9C7F-4268-AD2E-74264D6B7B79.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 22
That looks like an Accor type shutoff valve.
It has a push/pull action.
You pull on it to shut off.
Pull on the disk.
Don’t twist it.
They have a connection somewhat like a Sharkbite fitting.
Grab the body of the valve for support as you operate it.
Push on the disk to turn back on, and once again support it by holding the body.
Those valves are pure garbage and should be changed out, IMHO.
And the plumber or builder who installed them should be ashamed of themselves.

Last edited:
Another new crappy way for a builder to save a few dollars per fixture on parts and labor, when banging out a construction job.
But the supply hose is a permanent part of the valve, which is stupid.
And the valve rotates, like a Sharkbite does.
But this POS can come flying off into your face with full water pressure, if you rotate counter clockwise while pulling on it.
Which someone might do, who has no idea how the heck to turn off the supply to a fixture.
JUNK!

I replaced the fill valve as seen in the picture, but the water is still slowly leaving the tank and it has to refill it. Is there an adjustment to the fill valve or do I need to replace the flapper?

Attachments

• IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 10
The water level looks just right.

So yes, next thing is to change the flapper.

And make sure the seat under it is clean, no slime or minerals on the lip of the seat.

Did you get the issue resolved? How?
You might have to replace the rubber seal of your flush valve (located under the flapper).

Latest posts

Back