Toilet Still Leaking Water Into Bowl After Installation of New Flush Valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rambo19

Reaction score
My Kohler Wellworth toilet circa 1998 was slowly leaking water from the tank into the toilet bowl.

Today I installed a new Kohler 85402 flush valve kit. However, water is still slowly leaking from the tank into the bowl. I don't have any external leaks.

The only place that water can pass from the tank to the bowl is via the opening under the flapper, correct???

Suggestions?

Thanks!

I have uploaded pictures. The water level seems to be ok. I have not done a die test because I can see little ripples in the bowl and after 15 minutes or so the tank drops enough to call for more water.

Again, can someone tell me if the flap opening is the only way water can move from the tank to the bowl?

Well, I took off the tank...again....and learned that I had installed the gasket and seal between the tank and bowl just plain wrong. Would like to blame the golf club (the Kohler instructions) but I guess I will have to blame me.

So yep water can run from the bowl to the tank even if the flap is ok.

``
I have uploaded pictures. The water level seems to be ok. I have not done a die test because I can see little ripples in the bowl and after 15 minutes or so the tank drops enough to call for more water.

Again, can someone tell me if the flap opening is the only way water can move from the tank to the bowl?
if you see ripples in your bowl and you say the water level is ok its most likely your flapper if you dye test the dye will go to the leak just a few drops of food coloring will work also

Some times it is as simple as putting your finger under the flapper and feeling the edge for sediment, calcium or other crud from making a good seal on the flapper. And of course, flappers get soft and go bad after awhile. Then again, many older guys know this all too often!

Well, I took off the tank...again....and learned that I had installed the gasket and seal between the tank and bowl just plain wrong. Would like to blame the golf club (the Kohler instructions) but I guess I will have to blame me.
Yeah, instructions are mostly pictures these days, intending to help someone who doesn't read [insert language here], but the actual result is they've made it so that no one can understand them. I think IKEA is the big winner in this game.

Latest posts

Back