Toilet Sink Leaking [Can this be fixed by a noob?]

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diy

Reaction score
Hi,

I am attaching a picture and a recording of my toilet sink. I would like to get some ideas on if I can buy some parts from Lowes and fix it myself or should I just as a professional to fix it. And Do I need to replace the whole toilet?

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• IMG_5676.MOV
    8.1 MB
  • toilet-sink-problem.png
    toilet-sink-problem.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
@Twowaxhack Wow, thanks for replying. Are the two things you pointed out the exact models? How can you tell by just looking at the picture I attached?

My original seal is color red. And it has been leaking, but not too much. If i can that yellow seal you pointed out, how do I put it in? I mean the red seal seems like it's glued in. Do I need to get some glue to glue the yellow seal in?

And my water supply is controlled by some flimsy thingy (please see picture attached). I think I can stop the water supply by pulling it out a little -- But I have always been concerns that If I pull it out too hard I can destroy it and create a big mess. Anyways, Is that right that I can stop the water supply by pulling that thingy out?

Attachments

• water-pull.JPG
    water-pull.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • water-pull-2.JPG
    water-pull-2.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 6
Yes those are the two parts you need.

I can tell those are the parts you need because those are the two most common repair items for your toilet given your complaint.

The packages have instructions on them or you have watch a video on how to replace the fluidmaster 400 and the Kohler flush gasket..

Those stop valves push in and pull out. They’re crap but it’s what you have. It’ll probably work.

Always be able to turn the water off at the main when doing repair work if there’s an emergency. I always locate the main water valve before I touch the fixture stops.

Cool. It looks like I could attempt to fix this myself.

For the Fill Valve, I looked at the pictures on Home Depot's site. The main picture doesn't show the black hose you had mentioned, but there is another picture that shows it. Is it because it's optional?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 2.15.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 2.15.19 PM.png
    336.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 2.10.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 2.10.30 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
So does the Fluidmaster 400A Universal Toilet Fill Valve you pointed out include the hose (even though the main picture doesn't show the hose?)

So does the Fluidmaster 400A Universal Toilet Fill Valve you pointed out include the hose (even though the main picture doesn't show the hose?)

Yes, and it has instructions included.

Latest posts

Back