Toilet seats

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bogro7391

Reaction score
My wife and I are both on the large side. We have had to replace our toilet seat 4 times in the past 6 years. We always get lower cost replacement seats because of this.

The plastic bolts that hold the seats on always break. I am thinking about getting a seat with brass (or some other metal) bolts rather than the plastic ones. My concern is, if we are putting enough torque(?) on the seat to break plastic bolts, if we use metal bolts is there a chance of the toilet cracking rather than the bolts?

Don't wan't to replace a broken toilet just yet, planning on a remodel in the near future.

Those plastic bolts and thumbscrews are always the first to wear out. Usually a more expensive toilet seat will have the brass bolts, but you may also want to look for brass or stainless steel hinges while you are at it. As long as the bolts are not over-torqued, you should be fine sitting on the throne without breaking the entire toilet.

I think its better to get a quality one rather than replacing the cheaper again and again.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I think I will use some of that Christmas $$$ to get a quality seat!

My personal preference is the Kohler "Grip tight" slow close seat. The slow close feature is really nice and allows men to shut the seat completely down, making our women happy without us having to bend over.

Well... If you want something for strongest duty, I would get a bemis open front toilet seat, but it is a non no slam toilet seat. Also you have the regular Bemis no slam seats, they are really worth the money and I would look into one. Bemis is known for toilet seats. :)

Latest posts

Back