Toilet seat help needed

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashambeck

Reaction score
Hello there 👋 I'm in need OF HELP! My husband and I bought a house and the entire bathroom is marble and 1970s Kohler products in Aspen Green. Epecially the Rochelle toilet. So the toilet seat cracked 😔 Im not having ANY luck finding a replacement toilet seat. There isn't a modern day version that sits right and we don't plan to remodel the bathroom until next year. If anyone has any insight to where I might find a replacement or even REPAIR ideas to get us through the year I would be extremely grateful 🙏 I'm really hoping to avoid having to get a toilet that doesn't fit in right now.

Attachments

• 20200729_152352.jpg
    20200729_152352.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 20200729_152358.jpg
    20200729_152358.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • 20200729_152406.jpg
    20200729_152406.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:
Just buy the white seat from Kohler for $215. !!!
or, I can repair it with sheet-metal and screws, but just buy a good toilet and fugeddeboudit.
The criminals who designed that toilet should have spent years in prison rotting for having such a bad ballcock parts design and flush, in the first place.
The independent MaP testing site is a good place to check for 1,000 gram flush before you buy a new toilet.

I think I read somewhere that Kohler has had HUNDREDS of different ballcock designs, if you figure in re-designs, updates, obsoletes, and discontinued.

Sometimes, the only source of replacements are plastic knockoffs, some work, some don’t, many fail too quickly.

I’m fairly good with woodworking tools , if it were me I’d make a cover out of a nice wood like maple .Finished , it would look nice , don’t use plywood unless you want a hillbilly look.

The broken part appars to be only the seat cover, and not the seat itself.
Could you live with no cover on the toilet seat, until you remodel?
If so, unbolt the entire seat, and you'll probably find a way to remove the broken top cleanly at the hinge.
Now, re-install the seat.

Breplum, thanks for your input. The only thing wrong with this toilet is that the toilet seat lid cracked. Everything else works nicely. Its quiet and flushes well. I know they make a couple lids in white, beige & black. If I did purchase a new lid to fit it would be a black one to go more in tune with the colors of the bathroom....thats just my own vanity. I would cringe at a white toilet seat lol.

Riickk, thats a solid option. I could live without a lid for the interim if needed. I bought some epoxy and I'm gonna give that a go... we'll see!!! Thanks 😊

Jeff Handy, it's all such a crazy hassle. Thanks for the ebay find! I might just get it for the lid. Closest thing I've seen to the mint color.

You could easily have any Rochelle toilet seat you find sprayed to match with a good quality paint. I personally don’t think it’s worth investing in. This obsolete design will provide nothing but trouble in the future. @breplum 's suggestion of a new replacement toilet makes a lot of sense. There are a whole lot of very fine quality toilets you can buy for less than what you might spend on totally solving this seat issue.

There was a time in the 1970s where bathroom fixtures were all matchy-matchy and popular colors were blue, green and yellow...does anyone remember that you could buy matching toilet paper in those colors? We had a house built in 1968 in Massachusetts. Main bath was green, powder room blue and master bath yellow. My mom stocked three colors of TP...and matching tissues that sat in cozies on top of the toilet tanks.

In 1996 a new house we bought had a deep red/raspberry toilet, with matching tub surround and one piece vanity sinks. We made the builder changed that to white.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/colored-toilet-paper-history-255476
All of this is so passe. White has always been a good choice. I'm just happy that nobody has tried to adapt stainless steel prison toilets for domestic use.

Last edited:
We had an avocado tub and toilet. Ugh!!!!
Brown espresso colored tile with white grout went with it.

We were usually strapped for cash when I was growing up, in a family of six kids.
Only plain white TP, the dreaded Scott’s single ply, and we got chastised if we used more than about 15 sheets for a poop.
When about 100 were needed.
Three bathrooms, one pink, one teal, one tan.
All matching fixtures.
The only special toilet paper I saw in other houses as a kid were novelty rolls.
One neighbor sometimes had dollar bill printed rolls in their powder room.
Another one installed rolls with dirty jokes printed on them for cocktail parties.

Latest posts

Back