Toilet leaking

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumbs

Reaction score
I have water continuing to drain into the bowl after the tank has refilled. I don't hear or see anything when I remove the tank lid, float is in upright position, no change when if I manually apply pressure to the flapper and water level appears to be constant. Just got notice from water bureau about higher than normal use. Any suggestions appreciated.

put some dye in the tank see were it goes

just a guess it might be leaking by so slow that your not near it or home or sleeping???????

/////

Last edited:
Okay, I have confirmed that my water leak is because of the toilet. Based on the water bill, 22 gals. of water is running thru the toilet an hour. The toilet has Korky hardware. There's a little ripple in the bowl and I never hear water running to refill the tank. Evidently this has been going on for months. Can a professional please explain why I never hear the tank refill?

Lots of reasons. Water height adjusted too high? Flapper has sediment between it and the porcelain seal, causing water to leak through. A crack in the porcelain. Chain incorrectly adjusted.

If you can get a picture of the inside of the tank, it may tell us alot.

With this being said, you would hear water trickling at all times since that is about 1/2 gallon of water a minute.

The fill valve is not shutting off all the way and water is going down the overflow tube.

If your not seeing any water running when you take off the lid then I would do as Havasu suggested and replace the flapper at the bottom of the tank. Take a cloth or something and clean the seat that the flapper sets on. If its not a flapper type seal then show us what it is.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Turns out the flow valve was bad. Damn $10 part cost me a $1200 water bill.

As a homeowner, you need to be a great listener to any strange sounds inside your house. If you heard this water running, you could have saved yourself some money. As a last ditch effort, you could try to go to your water company with the bad valve and see if they could adjust your water bill. Some will do it, others won't. I would also demand that they replace your water meter, because that seems like an awful lot of water used with one leaky toilet.

Back