Toilet leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPL77

Reaction score
I have a toilet that has a constant leak straight into the pipes, which has caused it to consistently run. In trying to diagnose the problem, I have replaced the guts of the tank, including the entirety of the fill and flush valves. In replacing the flush valve (and gasket), I assumed my problems to be solved. Upon trying to fill the tank, I heard the leaking again. I haven't called a plumber yet, as I wanted to try to figure this issue out myself. Any ideas are welcome! Thank you in advance.

Either the flush valve is not making a seal & leaking .... or the small diameter fill tube that goes from the fill valve to the overflow is placed too far down the overflow tube.
Pictures are a great help.

Did you replace the flapper, you said gasket so i wasnt sure if you meant flapper or fill valve gasket
All of the above actually...lol. I originally changed out the fill valve and the flapper with that. When that didn't work, I changed out the flush valve, which came with its own flapper.

Either the flush valve is not making a seal & leaking .... or the small diameter fill tube that goes from the fill valve to the overflow is placed too far down the overflow tube.
Pictures are a great help.

Attachments

• 2b823e16-c214-4e3c-9a69-447cf6bc51e8.jpg
    2b823e16-c214-4e3c-9a69-447cf6bc51e8.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 69c91442-f181-412b-af96-9c1ed046e8d7.jpg
    69c91442-f181-412b-af96-9c1ed046e8d7.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 10
  • dc46eaf7-e714-491a-9cb7-8720eb2072ed.jpg
    dc46eaf7-e714-491a-9cb7-8720eb2072ed.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 9
Those adjustable flushvalves suck. Has an oring in there to leak.

Replace the flushvalve.

Get a plain Jane white flushvalve. Use that same flapper.

The adjustable overflow tube certainly presents another possibility. If it leaked it would cause the problems described.

Those adjustable flushvalves suck. Has an oring in there to leak.

Replace the flushvalve.

Get a plain Jane white flushvalve. Use that same flapper.
There was a plain white one in before I replaced it with this one. Also, when I went to refill the tank, it never even got half-way full before leaking. I don't know if that changes your assessment...

There was a plain white one in before I replaced it with this one. Also, when I went to refill the tank, it never even got half-way full before leaking. I don't know if that changes your assessment...
Not at all. I use the plain white ones. Various manufacturers.

Stop back & let us know if that was the solution. ( Wonder if you lost the O-ring during installation )

Stop back & let us know if that was the solution. ( Wonder if you lost the O-ring during installation )
It doesn’t come apart so he couldn’t have lost it.

It’s junk. I had 2 that leaked and I threw the rest away.

Understood ...... I was looking at those kits with the adjustable height overflow........ seems they all make a version ....... and now I appreciate this thread.

Last edited:
Back