Toilet leak at base, paper not going down.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plunk115

Reaction score
Greetings. I recently replaced a cast iron pipe with pvc. The one that goes outside to another cast iron pipe. Sewage was not making it out to the cast iron pipe that leads to the city street. It was going to the basement not the cast iron pipe that leads to city sewer. After replacing pvc pipe downstairs to cast iron pipe outside that leads to city toilet worked good for a few flushes. Water then started leaking from the base. My father loosened the bolts securing the toilet to the floor. If I put my foot on it it does not leak sometimes. Worked this morning I flushed everything went down. Later leaks again (I know I need to tighten the base bolts they are stripped. But, why does the toilet paper not go down? Yes, the water in the bowel is low. I have not messed with the float which I guess I can adjust. It almost seems to act like it is clogged. But the water goes down but not the toilet paper. I know I will have to replace the wax seal and stripped bolts, but would that loose toilet on the bottom lead to it not flushing the toilet paper or could the cast iron pipe that leads to the city be clogged? The water goes to the top then goes down slow leaving the toilet paper behind. I was wondering would that loose wax seal cause the toilet paper to no not go down, or is it the float adjustment and low water level in tank that is causing the toilet paper to not go down. The tank is at halfway. Thanks.

Last edited:
Dump a bucket of water into the bowl. If it goes down okay then you probably don't have enough water in the tank to make an adequate flush.
Some times a partial stoppage in bowl will siphon the water out of the bowl leaving the waste and paper.

I poured a few buckets of water down the toilet and the toilet paper went down and it appeared to flush good, but I heard it come up or make a noise in another sink drain and in the hallway by the bathroom. Then I poured some more water in the bowel and it got to the point where the water would not go down. So I guess the loose toilet and old wax seal are not the problem. What do you think.

It seems using the bucket method seems to yield less water leaking from the wax seal. Also, my dad has an RV connecting to the outside cast iron line which is right by the city sewer. He is not having any backup but is high off the ground. Thinking the obstruction has to be in the cast iron line outside as I changed the inside pipe to pvc.

Last edited:
Back