toilet issue after installation of sprayer

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velive

Reaction score
I just installed a handheld bidet sprayer, and since then the toilet is making a constant gurgling sound. and the water is bubbling in the bowl. did not have this issue until sprayer installation. what would cause this, and how can I fix it? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Could be the ballcock not shutting off completely.

You may need to replace your ballcock or check it for debris preventing it from shutting off.

The set up in the tank is a bit different than what I'm used to seeing, maybe because it's a low flow? It doesn't seem to have the traditional ballcock with the floater ball. I don't really know what is what in there.

I am attaching a picture so you can see the inside of the tank. This shows the tank after I used the sprayer, and as you can see it's empty.

Experimenting, I found that I could get the toilet to stop running by pushing what I think is called the valve all the way up.

After I did that and the water stopped running, I tested out the sprayer by using it to clean the bathtub.

After that I discovered the tank was empty - and the toilet would not flush and the water was not automatically refilling in the tank.

The only way to get water come back into the tank was by lowering the valve again, but then the water starts running constantly again!

Let me know if you have any thoughts. Unless it's something I can easily fix I'll probably have to get a plumber since I have no idea what I'm doing!

If any more pictures are needed of anything in the tank to give you a clearer idea of what is going on just let me know.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_7660.JPG
    IMG_7660.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
When you installed your hand-held bidet, it appears you rotated your flush valve about 135 degrees counterclockwise. The gray arm on the flush valve should be pointed towards the overflow tube, and the black hose should have a clip of some sort on the end so that it squirts water into the overflow tube during the tank refill cycle. That hose refills the toilet bowl to the proper level to keep the built-in trap of the toilet filled to the proper level after a flush. That black plastic "can" below the blue cap is the float for the tank valve. It appears the gray arm is rubbing against the tank wall, and the black refill hose is hindering the float. It would probably be best to loosen the bidet connection, and loosen the bottom nut on the flush valve assembly so that you can pull the flush valve away from the tank sidewall without damaging it. There will be some water come out around this nut as there always is about a 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of the tank.

The ballcock is jammed against the wall of the tank.,

The float and rod must be oriented in the tank to allow free movement up and down.

This is what controls the water on and off.

Last edited:
thanks guys, with your expert guidance I think I've fixed it!

If it turns out I'm wrong I'll let you know. But everything seems to be working properly again.

When you installed your hand-held bidet, it appears you rotated your flush valve about 135 degrees counterclockwise. The gray arm on the flush valve should be pointed towards the overflow tube, and the black hose should have a clip of some sort on the end so that it squirts water into the overflow tube during the tank refill cycle. That hose refills the toilet bowl to the proper level to keep the built-in trap of the toilet filled to the proper level after a flush. That black plastic "can" below the blue cap is the float for the tank valve. It appears the gray arm is rubbing against the tank wall, and the black refill hose is hindering the float. It would probably be best to loosen the bidet connection, and loosen the bottom nut on the flush valve assembly so that you can pull the flush valve away from the tank sidewall without damaging it. There will be some water come out around this nut as there always is about a 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of the tank.

I appreciate your thorough explanations and instructions. Without them I never would have figured this out!

That ballcock is at least 11 yrs old. I’d replace it. American standard quit making that tank in 2010 and it looks to be original ballcock

Back