Toilet flushing issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missmuliven

Reaction score
Hi! I have a question about issues with my toilet flushing. It has been going on for a while now. It often takes a few flushes even sometimes with just paper in it. However, sometimes it flushes just fine, it ALWAYS flushes if your pour a bucket of water in it (even with yucky stuff in it) and there are NO other problems with our plumbing. No gurgling, no noise, no smells, septic field is fine, all other drains in house are just fine. ( all one on floor, no other bathrooms). We just had septic pumped and the guy said it was “a little high and filter was a bit pushed up” but basically everything seems normal. I tried CLR and a pipe cleaner in the holes around the rim but didnt seem to do much. Also,a toilet snake brought up nothing. I havent checked the vent pipe on roof but like I said, NO other problems with plumbing?? I wasn’t sure if next step would be a more effective CLR or something like it? ( and advise on best way to use it?). or replace the entire flush system in back of toilet? Thanks for your thoughts!!

Take pics looking down into the toilet tanks and post them.

Attachments

• 88EDFC51-1EC5-4238-BEFF-FB04BEB31A0B.jpeg
    88EDFC51-1EC5-4238-BEFF-FB04BEB31A0B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • AC9FC3A2-7F78-42DD-B653-6167735A3010.jpeg
    AC9FC3A2-7F78-42DD-B653-6167735A3010.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • D23CD93A-3EB8-48EE-800D-EF0F89D58527.jpeg
    D23CD93A-3EB8-48EE-800D-EF0F89D58527.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Make sure the flush jet in the bottom of the bowl is pushing out a strong flow of water when you flush.

Put a rubber glove on and check it.

There are little holes around the underside of the bowl rim also. Get a paper clip and make sure those rim jets are clean.

Make sure the flush jet in the bottom of the bowl is pushing out a strong flow of water when you flush.

Put a rubber glove on and check it.

There are little holes around the underside of the bowl rim also. Get a paper clip and make sure those rim jets are clean.

How old is the toiket? As Twowaxhack said, the jet hole at the bottom of the bowl is key to a good flush.

I had one that started to take 2 flushes, and as it was 45 years old, I changed it out. I took a hammer to it and found a couple of hair pins blocking that hole. I assume at some time one of my daughters may have spilled a box of hair pins on top of the toilet tank cover, and in cleaning them off, removed the tank top and a couple fell into the tank. After some fushes, they may their way into the bowel innards and slowed the flushing.

I cleaned the rim jets with a thin brush and CLR previously. I could def do it again. I will say the flush jet doesnt seem super strong? Kind of a moderate flow?

no not really. also not much better manually lifting the lever inside the tank
That’s a water delivery issue then. After checking the jets, there not much else you can do other than replace it.

You stated it flushes great with a bucket.

I personally don't like those Mansfield flush valves. That may not be your [problem, but I've replaced those with Fluidmaster fill valves and a fluidmaster adjustable flush valve with flapper.

1683409782216.png

Holding the flushvalve open manually rules out a problem replacing the flushvalve would solve

That’s a water delivery issue then. After checking the jets, there not much else you can do other than replace it.

You stated it flushes great with a bucket.
yep, flushes great with a bucket. so changing the insides wont help? just toilet wore out for some reason?? also, could the multiple flushes have caused the septic to be a bit high and the filter in septic to have pushed up a bit?

yep, flushes great with a bucket. so changing the insides wont help? just toilet wore out for some reason?? also, could the multiple flushes have caused the septic to be a bit high and the filter in septic to have pushed up a bit?
Do other toilets flush properly in your home ?

Sounds like the water way is obstructed or the toilet has a defect. I wouldn’t replace parts.

Flushing multiple times isn’t ideal for a septic tank. I suppose if the filter clogged it could push up.

Do other toilets flush properly in your home ?

Sounds like the water way is obstructed or the toilet has a defect. I wouldn’t replace parts.

Flushing multiple times isn’t ideal for a septic tank. I suppose if the filter clogged it could push up.
there are no other toilets but bathtub, bathroom and kitchen sinks all work fine. was thinking maybe i would try the mineral remover one more time and then bite the bullet if needed

As you don't have another toilet in your house, and this does appear to be an internal obstruction in your toilet, replacing is about your only way to assure a fix.

But again, I would not buy a Mansfield with that lift up flush valve. I've had too many issues with them on toilets of mine as well as several of my friends. The contractors around here must have got a great pricing deal on them a few years ago, as they seem to be around here a lot.

Back