Toilet Flapper

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpanero

Reaction score
Kohler toilet (2 piece). Toilet runs for a 5-10 seconds every so often during the day. I put food coloring in the tank and it came through to the bowl within a minute indicating to me that there is a flapper leak. I went to home depot with the original flapper and the guy gave me a Fluidmaster universal flapper #88246 for about $6. After replacing it, adjusting the chain, etc. it leaks worse than before. If, however, I physically press the flapper, the sound of the leak stops confirming to me that this is a leak at the flapper. I examined the flush valve seat and it looks ok. Anything else I can do before I spend a lot of money to get professional help? I saw somewhere that spreading silicone grease around the flapper may help.
Any suggestions???

Thanks.

You should copy the model number and any other identifying symbols from the inside of the tank. Call Kohler at their 1-800 number and find out exactly what part number you need. I played the universal flapper game before and it only leads to frustration. Now I go straight for manufacturer parts.
If it continues to leak then you know that you will have to change the flush valve also and you already have the info for ordering or picking the parts up at a local Kohler dealer.
The silicone grease sometimes fills a few gaps for some flushes, but even if it works once or twice the problem is not fixed. It comes back.

Thanks for the advice. I'll contact Kohler right away to avoid the frustration I see coming right around the corner...

Especially with Kohler. They have made so many different types of flush valves and flappers its ridiculous.
We use Coast brand flappers for the typical standard flapper replacements.
Some of the Kohler replacements are the same flapper. Fluidmaster makes a great fill valve but their flappers suck

Kohler was very helpful. They sent the replacement flapper free of charge and it fixed the problem. Thanks for the advice!

I have the same issue with 2 Kohler toilets in my home but they are the kind that have the canister flush valve. Like OP, I can hear one of the toilets flush itself during the day. Kohler sent me the parts to replace the canister flush assembly but that requires removing the tank. My brother is good at plumbing but I told him not to tackle this issue right now. The toilets in question are not used at all right now so we just have the water shut off to those two toilets. I told my brother I would almost just replace the darn toilets that try to repair them. I know that sounds dumb. I have all the parts needed. If I hire a plumber to fix the leaky toilets, that will cost me as much as a new toilet since plumbers here charge $170 just to show up for an hour. I'm not saying that plumbers rip people off. They should get paid for their work. They work hard.

If I replaced the current toilet or toilets, I think I would get "old school" toilets with flappers in the tank. Only a couple of moving parts...flapper and fill valve. The toilets with canister type flush valve are a pain in the butt.

Any way, based on the above, what can I do to fix the 2 leaking toilets with spending a fortune?

Thank you to all of you in advance.

You most likely dont need to replace the whole assembly. It is usually just the gasket/seal on the bottom of the canister. The old red ones get gummy and disintegrate causing the toilet to be hard to flush and leak water into the bowl. The new part is GP1059291.

You most likely dont need to replace the whole assembly. It is usually just the gasket/seal on the bottom of the canister. The old red ones get gummy and disintegrate causing the toilet to be hard to flush and leak water into the bowl. The new part is GP1059291.
So, the yellow seal is better than the red one that is the original equipment seal?? These toilets are a few years old and now I think the old flapper style toilets are the way to go. Fewer moving parts.

So, the yellow seal is better than the red one that is the original equipment seal?? These toilets are a few years old and now I think the old flapper style toilets are the way to go. Fewer moving parts.
Yes, Kohler replaced the red one with the yellow.

Kohler is Krap.

Back