Toilet flange replacement necessary?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris177

Reaction score
Hello everyone. The flange is cracked and the closet bolt122E19CF-CCB5-4AD8-836E-FA5ADB50DB2C.jpeg will not stay in place. Was gonna install a repair kit on top of it but the flange is warped. It’s 3/8 inch high on the left side and a little less than 1/4 on the right side. Do I need to cut this out? With a repair kit I’d be about 1/2 inch off the floor which was is too tall for my toilet. Suggestions on a permanent repair? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 55BDD115-2AC1-4996-B180-D3650A83B561.jpeg
    55BDD115-2AC1-4996-B180-D3650A83B561.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • F92670AA-117F-4EE8-B097-E9704DD8BF45.jpeg
    F92670AA-117F-4EE8-B097-E9704DD8BF45.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
I would probably remove that flange and install a new one

Id drill 1/4” holes into the slab with a hammer drill, then anchor the flange to the slab with nail drive hammer set anchors.

The anchors are sold in various lenghts, I use the 2”-3” ones usually.

Sounds like the best idea. Just a little nervous cutting out the old flange because it was primed and glued. (Just work slow right? Lol)

Stuff a rag into the pipe and use one of these in a drill to cut the flange portion off.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Internal-Diameter-PVC-Pipe-Cutter-80-525-111/304341675
Then make vertical cuts the thickness of the spigot part of the flange. Stop short of cutting into the pipe but it’s important to cut through the spigot that’s glued into the pipe., It’s ok if you cut into the pipe a little, just don’t go crazy.

Make many vertical cuts spaced apart with a sawzall, 10 or so..

Use a hammer and a thin sharp flathead screwdriver.,

Place screwdriver between pipe and old flange spigot. You can see where the two meet.....

Tap tap tap........angle the screwdriver blade a little toward the pipe.

The pipe is supported by the concrete around it hopefully. If it’s not, fill the void with anchor cement before you try to remove the spigot.......

You could warm it up with a hot hairdryer before you start.......

Wear some safety glasses

Any questions ?

Last edited:
So I took your advice, cut the flange off and started notching the sleeve and the sleeve popped right out. It was glued. And it’s been repaired before. 10 minutes work literally and I really appreciate the help. However the new flange has too much play in the drain pipe. I test fit it and the drain pipe definitely has a 4 inch inside diameter but the flange has an outside diameter of about 3.92 inches. Did I pick the wrong flange? Definitely not a snug fit. Thanks again

Attachments

• EC00D487-FEE4-4398-9D83-B95D908D804B.jpeg
    EC00D487-FEE4-4398-9D83-B95D908D804B.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3993.MOV
    12.4 MB
You could try another brand flange or another flange of the same brand.

If ithas just a little interference and you use a thick solvent like the blue glue snd anchor it with the anchors I listed you’ll be ok.

I’d put a spacer under that flange so it’s not recessed in the tile.

Your old flange probably came out easy because the inside diameter of that pvc is on the large side of tolerances. So it didn’t make a good bond. If it’s anchored down securely the bond will be good enough.

I’d put a spacer under that flange so it’s not recessed in the tile.

Your old flange probably came out easy because the inside diameter of that pvc is on the large side of tolerances. So it didn’t make a good bond. If it’s anchored down securely the bond will be good enough.
My flange isn’t AIDS as d but t good. Does d it need to be level before putting wax seal on??

I am an old plumber, I would never use plastic flanges on a toilet. I would use a toilet lead stub
and brass flanges. with a lead stub i can fix just about and problem that comes my way, like drain in the wrong place, I can move a lead stub probably one full inch in any direction . Also i can change the flange, solder on a new repaid lead what ever.

Latest posts

Back