Toilet Flange problem/question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfoot100

Reaction score
Hello - I am replacing a toilet on the middle level of our house. After pulling the old toilet away and cleaning up the area underneath, I now have what you can see in these pictures. There is no flange, at least from what I understand a flange to be. The old toilet bolts went into holes in the subfloor plywood and threaded into (presumably) nuts of some kind that are on the other side of the plywood. The toilet sat on the subfloor, not the finished floor. So before I removed it, you could clearly see that it was recessed below the finished floor.

While it appears to have worked for many years, I'd like to install my new toilet a bit more properly and would love to get some advice from the folks here. I understand that the flange should sit on top of the finished floor (which is laminate layed on top of old linoneum, btw). Any suggestions? I picked up a couple of things from local stores, including the Set-Rite kit, but am really not sure how to proceed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1281.JPG
    IMG_1281.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1283.JPG
    IMG_1283.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
That flange is broken. Can you get to the underside to access? They do have flange repair kits, but that is about all I know to help you. Hopefully, someone will jump in to help you further.

Thanks for the reply. I don't have access underneath... but I suppose I could cut into the drywall downstairs and get access if that's truly what I need to do. I guess I'll see what suggestions come in and go from there.

I believe its ABS. I stuck my hand down inside and can feel an edge that seems to indicate the end of it is a good 4" or so down. My house was build in 1976, btw.

Ok here are a couple of photos looking inside the flange. Looks like its an ABS flange that fits inside the ABS pipe coming up from underneath.

I'm wondering if I can chip out the old flange and then simply glue in a new one... Will I be able to find an ABS flange, or is ABS completely gone?

Attachments

• IMG_1289.JPG
    IMG_1289.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1288.JPG
    IMG_1288.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1287.JPG
    IMG_1287.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
[This split ring flange will go around that plastic. Then you can fasten the flange to the floor and then you
are good to go.

Back