Toilet flange height

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bggas400

Reaction score
Hello,
Remodeling upstairs bath and its been going on for the longest time. Anyway, as it stands, the toilet flange sits about 5/8" off the floor of which is 2 layers of 1/2" plywood. Now I'm going to put down 1/2" Durock, then 1/4" tile. My thought was to install the toilet on top of the tile. So is the height of flange sufficient as it will then be at least 1/4" below the finished floor or do I have to install the toilet before the tile?
Thanks for any help!
Barry

image-2601506580.jpg

Where is the rest of the flange? Your missing the ring. As far as the height 1/4" below the finished floor will work you just need to DBL up the wax seal. Never tile around a toilet.

John

Where is the rest of the flange? Your missing the ring. As far as the height 1/4" below the finished floor will work you just need to DBL up the wax seal. Never tile around a toilet.

John

John, could you please go into a bit more detail regarding this?

If you tile around a toilet and the wax seal fails the leak wouldn't show up. The water would become trapped under the toilet. Plus if the toilet ever needed to be replaced the foot print of the new toilet wouldn't match the old one. Because they change the design of bowls so often.

John

So essentially you are stating it is best to tile to the flange, not the specific toilet. I agree with you 100%.

I recently got a call from my G/F's son in law, who advised it appeared he had broken a water line under slab, because water was coming up from his linoleum around the bathroom perimeter. You guessed it, the linoleum was cut and caulked around the toilet and the wax ring failed. The water seeped under the tile for months unnoticed. I had to remove the entire linoleum after pulling the toilet, and saw the wax ring was shot. Once I replaced the floor up to the flange, and reset the toilet with a new wax ring, all is fine.

johnjh2o said:
If you tile around a toilet and the wax seal fails the leak wouldn't show up. The water would become trapped under the toilet. Plus if the toilet ever needed to be replaced the foot print of the new toilet wouldn't match the old one. Because they change the design of bowls so often.

John

Thanks John! Never thought of that but it is quite logical. I do have the ring - somewhere I think - .
That piece allows for attaching the toilet to the flange, yes? That might also raise the total height of the flange.

It's been a while but I'm finally getting to it. So it appears that the height of the flange is about 3/16 inch above the cement board. The ring seems to fit around it okay. The finished floor is about an 1/8 inch above the top of the flange or ring. This will work, yes?

image-2298804992.jpg

image-2026150844.jpg

Last edited:
Back