Toilet Flange bent up at each bolt slot

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You only need a shim or two to keep it steady until the anchor cement dries, literally minutes. Then pull the shims pack it with more anchor cement.

Anchor cement expands as it cures.

You don’t need a weep hole if you set the toilet in wax and don’t break it......it won’t leak. Your flange is proper, you put the wax, you stabilize the toilet rock solid. It doesn’t leak.

Once you drop the toilet into the wax don’t lift it back up. It’s a one time shot.

The anchor cement turns into a soft clay right before it dries and it wipes up great. It doesn’t look pretty while your doing it.

The toilet will still be able to come up, it doesn’t ruin the toilet.

If I hadn’t done this many times with great success, I wouldn’t suggest it.

If the cement expands, will that lift the toilet off the wax?

Most cement shrinks when it dries. Anchor cement expands to fill minor voids. No it will not lift the toilet off the wax.

It doesn’t expand that much, but the most important part is it doesn’t shrink.

Try it next time you get a toilet on a tile or concrete floor that rocks and rolls. You’ll thank me for it.

OK ,new toilet is delivered and it has no cracks, (yet...)
Thought I would let you know my plans so you could help me figure the right way.
I am going to dry seat the toilet again, but this time I've made marks on the tile where the "inside" feet and rims are that suppor the structure.
Going to put playdough down on the marks. Will see how much they are flattened so I know how much "peanut butter" consistentcy cement to put in those locations.
I will also put thin pieces of playdough around the edges on the front half to see if I am forgetting to shim there of If I need to put cement there also.
I'll take a picture of all this playdough before and after in the morning so you can see it.
Oh, I've noticed I made have made a mistake with the original cement that I put down. Right next to the flange bolts, the cement is not flat, the rim area may be hitting on that. I will chip that flat and put playdough in the area to see what is going on with gaps and such.
I have attached one of about 20 pics I took with mesaurement of the other cracked tilet before I returned it.

IMG_4651.JPG

I always put too much anchor cement then just wipe the excess as it dries. Then when it’s almost all the way dry I run a straight edge putty knife around the base and it cuts the excess away leaving a nice finished edge.

You’re over thinking this. It’s simple

I have grey grout so the anchor cement matched. That’s anchor cement around this toilet and has been there 22 years.

420E1818-BD7C-4A65-AB87-AB11CFCF0838.jpeg

The only way you could screw it up would be to mix in too much water then you have to sit there and let it start to harden before you use it.

Im use to the entire job taking about an hour......from taking the toilet up to replacing the flange then setting the toilet and the cement drying.

OK. Twowaxhack... I am about to follow your advice and cement the whole base down.
Please tell me the amount you mix and the ratio. I want to get it just the way you do.
Thank You

OK. Twowaxhack... I am about to follow your advice and cement the whole base down.
Please tell me the amount you mix and the ratio. I want to get it just the way you do.
Thank You
I mix it to the consistency of peanut butter. I use a few 16oz cups of cement into a coffee can or bucket and mix a little water in at a time.

A LITTLE WATER GOES A LONG WAY. MIX IT GOOD

if you mix too much water in you’ll have to monitor until it starts to harden to peanut butter consistency before you use it.

You want it thick like cake frosting.

OK Twowaxhack, I know I have been a pain.
I truly apologize for not listening closer.
I went thru all of you adivce and summed it up.
Yes, you did answer all my questions.:

a few 16oz cups of cement into a coffee can or bucket and mix a little water in at a time.

set the toilet then let the cement dry almost completely before I tighten the closet nuts down.

(Then let it dry for another 15 minutes. Snug the closet bolts down.)

The stuff dries in 15 minutes.

I’ve put it up to 1/2” thick or better to fill in a low tile.

It dries in about 25 minutes

Thank you so much for your help.
I really apologize for being such a pain.
Today, GOD Willing, I will find the strength and patience to mix the cement and set the toilet.

Last edited:
Wait.. That’s it? What happened? Did it work? You can’t leave a cliffhanger like that! For the love of God man, what happened?

Latest posts

Back