Toilet drain move

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake evans

Reaction score
New guy here, hoping to find some advice. I have done a lot of the plumbing while slowly renovating my house. I am not a pro by any stretch, but I like to think that I'm relatively capable.

I am re-doing a basement bathroom, it sits directly below the bathroom on the main floor. The toilet drain from the floor above drops down into the ceiling of the basement bath below. I am trying to rearrange the drain so that I do not have to box it in as the room is already small and the ceiling is kinda low.

Currently the drain drops about 2 feet vertical to a closet bend (90), it then runs horizontal into the main stack. The reason it drops so far vertically is that it runs under a beam. In other words it starts in one "bay" between two beams, then runs underneath a beam to a different "bay" which is where the main stack is located.

I would like to raise it up by doing the following: Raise up the closet bend as high as possible. Then run horizontally about 2 feet (staying within the same "bay"). Then go vertical with a wide 90, immediately to a 45 (with a 90 degree change of plane). This 45 degree run would go under the beam to the "bay" where the main stack is. The other end of the 45 would terminate right to a Y on the main stack.

This is difficult to explain and also probably difficult to visualize. I have put together 2 drawings. The first shows the connections but since its not 3D I cannot show the change of plane. The second shows the run from up above and hopefully provides a better idea of change of plane.

Just a few questions:
1) Is this feasible? Are these bends and the change in plane within code?
2)Would a Y be the correct connection at the main stack? Or would this require a sanitary T and a second 45?

I would appreciate any help or feedback.

Thank You!

Attachments

• plumbing.jpg
    plumbing.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 12
  • plumbing above.jpg
    plumbing above.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 14
Back