Toilet Chain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy49

Reaction score
Is there a rule of thumb or any recommendations regarding setting the length of the toilet chain to the flapper? I have keep adjusting it because it gets stuck in the flapper after flushing or the flapper never closes completely after flushing. Seems pretty mundane but causing me heartburn!

You want a little slack, sounds like if the chain is getting under the flapper there is to much slack when you take the slack out only leave maybe 4-5 loops of chain near the handle that can also affect it if there is too much there

It takes a little bit of trial & error, but you want to get it so that it has just enough slack that the chain won't hold the flapper up unless the toilet lever is pressed.
If it is already tight enough but there is excess chain hanging down that is getting in the way, you can loop it back up and connect the catch to one of the links near the end to tether the excess so it won't get in the way.

By the way, that plastic chain on the newer units cuts real easy, allowing the clip to be reconnected without lots of extra "chain".

sounds like you need a new handle if you’re constantly having to adjust the flapper chain. The handle is sticking at different angles

Very often, the problem is with the big link that connects the chain to the flush lever.
It gets hung up and causes the chain to shorten.
Try adding some oil to all the attachment points.
Or eliminate the link, or flip it end to end.

Also, I have often found that this only happens with one person in a family.
Someone who pushes the flush lever handle as though they were doing a karate chop.

Ditto what Rickyman said.

Also, see if the big nut that holds the flush lever to the tank is sloppy and loose.
Tighten it, and FYI they are usually reverse thread.

I think a photo of what the chain & flush mechanism look like might help in this situation so we can see what the situation is to know if the arm of the lever is solid or if it can pivot independently due to a screw that needs to be tightened. It does sound like there might be the pivoting type that keeps moving if the chain gets too short (unless it's because it's getting caught up on stuff inside).

I did tighten the the nut holding the flush lever and inverted the hook that connects to lever. It seems to have worked. I will monitor it for a day or two report back with a pic. if the problem continues. Thanks to all.

Back