Toilet Back up.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhyME

Reaction score
About a week ago I had to call a plumber out because I couldn't unclog the toilet. A few days later it happened again. The day after that it happened again. I've never had issues with this in the past. I own a snake and a plunger but neither seems to be doing the job. What can I use that I haven't already. Is it possibly something else? roots? If it does it again I'm sol due to the lack of funds. Any advice is appreciated.

I also asked the plumber what was causing it he said he didn't know but didn't tell me what it was. Is it normal in plumbing to not know the cause just the solution?

I had a similar situation once before. The toilet would clog, I’d auger it clear, only to have it clog again in a day or so. I finally pulled the toilet to check and found a net of dental floss snagged across the top of the flange. When solids went through the toilet they would not go through the net, then I would break things up with the auger, and it was clear in that liquids would go through. But next dump and we have a clog again. Never flush dental floss.:eek:

Tree roots can also give the same symptoms. Liquids flow and the line seems clear, but solids will back up until dissolved.

Good luck.

If it were tree roots, I would think the main drain pipe would be clogged, and water would be coming up in the tub also. Not sure what kind of Plumber would not know what the problem was, if he corrected it. You may have something lodged in the trap of the toilet. Did the Plumber use a Closet Auger or snake the whole line? First step for a DIY job would be to remove the toilet and inspect the trap from the bottom. Doing this will also open up the drain pipe for inspection.

Back