Toilet auger won't go in far

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fwegan

Reaction score
I've had a stubbornly clogged toilet and finally bought a toilet auger. I tried using it yesterday, and after a lot of pushing and cranking I saw the tip of the auger coming back into to the toilet bowl. Getting it out was a fight!

Now I'm trying it again, being careful not to push too hard so it doesn't just turn around on me again. But after I push it in about a foot I can't get it to go any farther -- when I push it just bounces back. I can't seem to snag anything either, and all I hear is metal scraping on porcelain.

This just means it's not getting around a bend in the toilet, right? Is there a trick to getting it through?

Thanks for any help, I'm desperate!

Sounds like you have a cheep big box store toilet auger. If the cable is to soft you will get the results that you are having. Go to a plumbing supply and get a real toilet auger. It may cost a little more but it will do the job for you.

John

I agree with john. I have heard this before from customers before and it's not you, it's the auger. The cable shouldn't be able to double-back on you in the trapway. They cost a bit more than the cheap-o augers, but work a lot better and you will always have it on hand for future issues. You could probably find an instructional video online as to how to use it without scratching the bowl.

Could also be.

A. There is a Flanged Wax ring and the toilet has been augered before catching the flange on the wax ring and inverting it. Causing the cable to go no where but travel backwards.

B. A Flanged wax ring installed on an offset closet flange. Ever looked the flange of the wax ring makes a flow restriction thus makin it easier to catch the flange and invert it.
Best bet pull the toilet, auger from the under side and replace wax ring and closet bolts, check flooor and flange for any damage.

I have a Ridgid toilet auger. Honestly it seems to be about 50/50 weather or not it will clear the clog. If anything it pushes the clog to the discharge of the toilet, so i end up lifting the toilet and clearing the clog manually.

Try this!

Tie a string to the end of the auger, when you hit a bend pull the string toward you
To bend the auger in the direction you want it to go.

Ridgid had a you tube video showing how to do this.

Cheers

Try this!

Tie a string to the end of the auger, when you hit a bend pull the string toward you
To bend the auger in the direction you want it to go.

Ridgid had a you tube video showing how to do this.

Cheers

If the string is tied onto the end of the auger what prevents it from raping around the auger as you turn it?

John

i like the general toilet augers, only way to go, another thing is if the auger keeps coming back, is it possible that an object (toy, comb, soap) is stuck in the 1st bend?

i use the drop a head auger, i dont have the problem with the cable coming back anymore, try the general, its orange, im sure everyone here will agree

Latest posts

Back