To add a back water valve, or not to add a backwater valve...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyb7691

Reaction score
Hello,

My question is should i add a backwater valve to my main line?
Living in an old house on a level road in the city if Toronto.
$1600 plus permit and tax plus floor tile repair -$1250 rebate.

Sounds like a no brainer, but could it cause more trouble to
maintain? Say sewage backing up if i forget to clean
it out.

Thanks in advance!

Reason for the valve is if the city main backs up. It will flood your house if you are the lowest on the line. That's the only reason for it. Valve will need to be accessible for maintenance. That "flapper" could get dislodged and create issue. That why I say leave it open. Have you had issues with the city main backing up in your area?

Hey Justin,

No, i never have had any issues with backup.
My reasons are just in case, given the more
intense episodes or rain which happen.

I thought the flap stays down in its neutral
position.

Thanks,

The valve would be downstream of where everything in your house ties in. So it would open for when your waste water goes through it or wherever it is decided to be put. See them on 4in sewer pipe and do see them on 2in drain lines. Depending on where it is required to go. Now, if it is on a 2in drain line and you have a bathroom on a Wye. You will still have potential for sewer water to come up there. If it is on the 4in trunk line going out of the house. You won't have that issue.

Yeah it would most definitely be on the main 4” line
going outside of the house near the foundation wall.

If you’re on level ground, I would just install a clean out with a pop up cap

They make back water valves for outside of the house. It has to be dug up but you don't have to break up the floor or tile.

Last edited:
i just repiped my brother inlaws basement adding 2 baths and a back water valve we also added a cleanoutoutside well the main in the street backed up
i didn't flood his house.....if you have any fixtures in the basement you will flood just imagine the clean up and insurance hassle.....

Like geof said, it does make sense to have a backwater valve. But you need to make it accessible wherever you put it. Have ran across ones outside 5ft deep that were inaccessible and the problem was at the valve. Whatever way you go, leave it accessible. It will need maintenance on it.

To the original poster, if needed, you can put it inside and make it accessible. You have the option to put it outside and purchase one to make it accessible, they make both. If you ever had any water back up into your house this is something that you would want to look into. Also they are like a car, if you want it to work properly you have maintain it.

Thanks Tom, no i haven't had water back up into my house. I live on a level road if that makes a difference. Will the backwater valve be as deep as the main line, so 2-3 feet deep? The plumber says thats accessible but it sounds a bit tricky to reach.

Yeah exactly, I don't think mine is 5 feet deep but might be 2-3 feet deep. I could probably access it at 2 feet but 3 feet? Hard to say.

Thanks ExtramilePlumbing, I do have a clean out installed already inside the house and outside. I read online that recommends you have a clean out valve if your lowest drains are not 2 feet or more higher than the city sewers. My basement drains are about 2f eet lower than the outside sewers.

Back