Tired of pull up or press down shower diverters

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSkyHigh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been using the shower with the typical pull up/gravity return diverter that works for about a year and then stops working as mineral deposits inevitably build up and even using diluted CLR type lime removers stop working and you have to manually push the diverter down to avoid being shocked senseless the next time you get in the tub and turn on the water to a very cold and unexpected shower. I have also used a better one, although still not happy, that you pull down on a section of the spout at the output to divert to the shower that uses a spring loaded mechanism to return to the original tube spout water output. That solution works better but you still have to be vigilant and use silicone grease from time to time to keep that diverter happy.

Does anyone make a replacement wall mounted on/off/diverter assembly that uses a positive, manually operated valve to control the direction of water flow to either the spout or the shower head because I certainly can't find a manufacturer that makes one.

Thanks in advance!

I use Delta tiny spouts with great success.

Sure most faucet manufacturers make an off board diverter valves. Pick your poison. That’s not the way I’d go though, I’d use a Delta spout.

That wall mounted type usually comes as an option with the tub/shower valve, either built in or separate.

There should be a note when someone asks a question like this. "plumbers use delta". It would save a lot of time.

Tiny was a typo in my post 🤣

I meant Tub spout

IMO danco is bottom of the barrel garbage.

Last edited:
Danco plumbing stuff and knockoff parts is always hit or miss, sometimes it is all the big box stores carry and will do in a pinch.

Symmons. With diverter, pressure and temperature controls all on the Temptrol valve body. More costly than Delta but fabulous quality and Made in USA. Unlike many manufacturers Symmons still has separate pressure and temperature controls, which many have dropped. None better.

I have a Brasscraft Mixet Diverter Tub Spout on a guest shower that is rarely used. Seems okay with stopping most of the water since I had it installed about 5 yrs ago. The knob still auto-releases after the water is shut off. Prior to that I think I had the cheap generic ones that leaked a lot more and/or the knob did not auto-release all the time. Nice to see other brand suggestions from plumbers.

Latest posts

Back