Tips for getting the nasty stuff out of sewage ejector pump basin

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2002sheds

Reaction score
My Mother in Law lives in a small house just downhill of our house and the septic system (75 feet). Plumbing waste drains into a Liberty 370 Pro and then is pumped slightly uphill to the septic field.

Today her toilet would not flush, and I eventually determined that the impeller on the pump of the 370 is likely jammed (macerater motor hums when pump is plugged in but will not grind).

Now I am faced with the nastiest of tasks. As I understand it, the whole top comes off, and I can retrieve the pump and inspect the impeller. Since the impeller is jammed, it means that the basin is pretty much full of the nastiest stuff. Any tips on how to get that pump out? Do I need to empty the basin? If so, any advice there?

I am very grateful now that I have always had a poor sense of smell…

Thanks,
David

you could use another pump and pump it to the drain field.

You could use a bucket

You could use a shop vac

You could build a siphon

But you need to dispose of the sewage properly.

The basin holds 41 gallons but you don’t need to empty it. Just suck out enough so you can pull the pump

you could use another pump and pump it to the drain field.

You could use a bucket

You could use a shop vac

You could build a siphon

But you need to dispose of the sewage properly.

The basin holds 41 gallons but you don’t need to empty it. Just suck out enough so you can pull the pump
Hi Twowax,
Once again, you have come through. Thanks! Below is a cutaway photo of the unit. I will need to disconnect the union that goes to the pipe that takes the ground waste to the septic field, but it looks as if the pump is just resting on the bottom in those cupped holes. Maybe it will come straight up and out?

C681BD87-F17D-4DE5-A4B7-51CE22F6D499.jpeg

I would go buy a new pump and use it to pump it into the drain field, you will probably need the new pump in the end anyhow. I have a similar set up, and when our pump fails I have a little utility pump I plan on using to pump it out. Then I will have to cut off the discharge pipe and pull the pump. When I put the new pump in I will use a no-hub connector where I cut the pipe off. Good luck!

Hi RS, TwoWax,
I finally got the lid pulled on the unit and removed the pump. There were so many wipes trapped in the impeller that I resorted to taking the basin off of the pump…
Everything went back together and is now working, but tomorrow I may remove the access hatch and pump out enough of the barrel to see where the feet of the pump are, since I am unsure whether or not the feet made it into the indented spots in the bottom of the barrel…
I also noticed that the check valve that is just beyond the unit is failing, so that will get replaced as well.

Thanks,
David

5E0A9DAE-B382-4C0D-8157-3702F3F1409B.jpeg

You should feel a sense of accomplishment. I charge $500 to do that job, and that’s minimum.

That's great you were able to salvage the old pump, I expected it to be burned out!

Hi Twowax, RS,
Thank you both! RS, I could hear a faint hum when the unit was plugged in before pulling, so I pinned my hopes on a clogged impeller.
Twowax, based on how I feel today, I might’ve paid you that $500 gladly :)
Have a great weekend!

David

Latest posts

Back