Ting noise after using shower

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coondog83

Reaction score
I'm a newbie home owner and know nothing about plumbing so bare with me please. I have an older home built in 1981, live in Dallas. We've been here since July so almost a full 6 months. No issues until this last Saturday, going on a week now. When using the master bathroom shower once the hot water comes through the shower head a ting/slight thump noise can be heard from the other side of the wall which is the main living room. It goes away after you hear it once or twice, then nothing. Once the shower is finished and water is turned off, the same sound can be heard again intermittently about every 30 seconds and gets further & further apart. After about 30 minutes the sound is gone completely. Is this just expansion & contracting of the pipe due to hot water use, or possibly something worse. We just start getting colder weather here and have had our first freeze a few weeks ago. This was not an issue during the summer months. Also there are no signs water leak on either side of the wall. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

It sounds to me like it is most likely just a thermal expansion contraction cycle. I’d run the shower with just cold water, and then just hot water and determine if there is a difference in the sounds.

Or, you could buy one of the USB endoscopes, and drill a 1/4-inch hole into the stud bay where the sound comes from, and look around.

FishScreener, I will try running the cold water and then hot water first to determine if it's just from the hot water. Also thanks for the suggestion of the endoscope

Latest posts

Back