Tiling over hot mop tar?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamothe1

Reaction score
I just had my shower stall “hot moped”. Just wondering how well thinset sticks to the vertical tarred areas. I have a built in seat in the shower that has been also hot moped and wondering if I need to attach hardiboard to it or can I thinset over the tar and attach my tile. I’ve hardiboarded everything except the vertical portion of the seat.

I just had my shower stall “hot moped”. Just wondering how well thinset sticks to the vertical tarred areas. I have a built in seat in the shower that has been also hot moped and wondering if I need to attach hardiboard to it or can I thinset over the tar and attach my tile. I’ve hardiboarded everything except the vertical portion of the seat.

Float it or you'll have problems

a friend of my son says i should use that expanded metal and form it exactly to the shape of the bench then embed it in mortar that i run up the vertical and across the seat, so it's almost like having a concrete seat

a friend of my son says i should use that expanded metal and form it exactly to the shape of the bench then embed it in mortar that i run up the vertical and across the seat, so it's almost like having a concrete seat

Correct

The tar is your water barrier. Throwing in screws defeats its purpose. As mentioned before, floating thinset over the mud makes it tile ready with no screw penetration. It is also your job to taper the floor towards the drain.

the screws i referred to are in the hardiboard which is on the wall above the hot moped area

So your pan is hot mopped but you are referring to the walls above the tar? Yes, way different... and proper.

here's the bench and the wall
thumbnail

i don't have all the screws installed yet. I'm trying to decide weather to remove the hardiboard and install felt paper then reinstall the hardiboard - i was going to put felt up but i forgot till now. Or maybe just keep going. looking on u-tube some say to put up a moisture barrier and some say not to regardless. I'm going to seal it with Redguard and don't i see how the moisture will get into the hardiboard
Unfortunately, your images are not coming through. How are you posting them?

Back