Tie in new deep sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclone1

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for any help you can provide,
I am planning on adding a deep sink in by basement and will need to drain it using a drain pump. Was planning on using the Liberty Pump 1/3 HP Submersible Compact/Low Profile Drain Pump Model #404.
I am not sure where the best place is to tie into existing drain line.
The kitchen sink is directly above where I have that labeled and there is no venting on that end of the line.
Based on the photo below it looks like my only options are #1 or #2. And can I add a tee for the new line without adding additional venting?
layout.jpg

I’ve installed a few 404’s for break room sinks in a slab. I know the pump line must enter the sanitary line on at least a 45 degree slope down into the line. Also, be sure to use a wye or a combo, not a tee. If you run up to the joists, you can 45 down into either line.

Options #1 or #2 looks good to me. Maybe more of a personal preference. The bigger the line the better. The farther down the line the better.

The only vent you would need is a vent on the pump itself. You can use a studor vent since there may not be a true vent in the basement to use.

Thanks. Yes I was planning on a wye even though I called it a tee. Seems like location #2 would give me the best pitch to drop down into since it's close to horizontal.
I've never used a studor vent before so if my drain line runs horizontally to the wall and then goes up how should the vent be configured?
Can I put a wye at a horizontal angle and then on one side mount the vent and on the other side 90 up towards the ceiling?

Thanks. Yes I was planning on a wye even though I called it a tee. Seems like location #2 would give me the best pitch to drop down into since it's close to horizontal.
I've never used a studor vent before so if my drain line runs horizontally to the wall and then goes up how should the vent be configured?
Can I put a wye at a horizontal angle and then on one side mount the vent and on the other side 90 up towards the ceiling?

The discharge line is considered a pressure line so it does not require a vent like a gravity driven line.

The Liberty 404 has three connections. Here is one I installed. is hard piped vented. I used a studor on the sink drain because I dropped down to meet the inlet level.
A21804D9-56EE-4283-AE5E-28C0B334ED0D.jpeg
( I 90’d the 1” copper WH pan drain down to the hub after the pic was taken)

like this
6AA34B07-E21A-420A-AFD8-F7DEBABF7D1F.jpeg

The discharge line is considered a pressure line so it does not require a vent like a gravity driven line.

The Liberty 404 has three connections. Here is one I installed. is hard piped vented. I used a studor on the sink drain because I dropped down to meet the inlet level.
View attachment 29817
( I 90’d the 1” copper WH pan drain down to the hub after the pic was taken)

like this
View attachment 29818
I should have put a union in the vent as well. Slipped my mind that time.

The valve/union/check is required by code. It does not have to be all one piece, it’s just a space saver.

You need to check your jurisdiction. As sheplmbr said we also cannot use a studor on a pump like that in my area. You can run the vent out the bond just above the basement wall

So I'd have to run a vent pipe all the way up the outside of the house to the roof?

You need to check your jurisdiction. As sheplmbr said we also cannot use a studor on a pump like that in my area. You can run the vent out the bond just above the basement wall
It really has less to do with code than hampering the operation of the pump. read the instruction manual.

Your plumbing looks funny, it looks like you have a whole house trap on your main line . I would like to see more before commenting, I might just want to redo all of it to bring it up to code.

Yes that is a vent where the pipe goes through the wall next to the electrical panel. It's been like that from day one but I had no problems with inspections when I bought the house.
vent1.jpg

It looks like you could tie your drain almost anywhere in this Frankenstein of a system, you aren't limited to these two places. Finding a good place to vent would be key.

Hahaha. Maybe shooting over to that horizontal ABS line which is just for a powder room sink and the dishwasher is an option.
That white fitting on the far right of the line is only the dishwasher. Maybe the vent can go there?
dishwasher.jpg

Last edited:
Back