Three Handle Shower Faucet, No Hot Water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frizzaroni

Reaction score
I have a faucet in a tub/shower combo that has a handle for hot, handle for cold and handle to turn on the faucet and shower We had the tub replaced and shower tiled and since then the hot water from the faucet will not work. It gets barely like warm. There are no issues with the hot water anywhere else in the house. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

the handle that's not hot or cold is that how you shut off the faucet/shower?????? or do you shut off the hot and cold handles
You turn the water on or off with the middle handle. The hot and cold are just to adjust the temperature.

With the middle handle. Left is hot, right is cold and the middle is to turn on the faucet or the shower head.

When only using the middle, hot and cold both off, the water remains cold.
When turning on cold, it gets colder. When turning on hot, nothing happens, it remains cold.

I believe it is Delta brand. Yes, I can see a little piping and when the hot water is on the piping barely feels warm on the hot side. You can see the set up here. The piping is the same color as the handle.

Attachments

• IMG_20180918_125302836.jpg
    IMG_20180918_125302836.jpg
    555.3 KB · Views: 10
I believe it is Delta brand. Yes, I can see a little piping and when the hot water is on the piping barely feels warm on the hot side. You can see the set up here. The piping is the same color as the handle.
I would contact delta.....they may have delt with this symptom and can give you and awnser right away

if mr david is right the hot stem is stuckso its not allowing the water to mix properly.....I have seen this in single handle pressure blanacing valves
remove the stems soak in vinegar and reinstall
Which part is the stem? I took off the handle today and it was just that, the handle. The piping portion is in the wall through the tile.

Which part is the stem? I took off the handle today and it was just that, the handle. The piping portion is in the wall through the tile.

Generally a stem is extracted this way:

0. Turn off the water!!!! If it is just the hot side you are working on that can usually be turned off separately at the hot water heater.
1. Take off the handle.
2. There is a sort of metal ring around the post that went into the handle. It unscrews, but you may need a strap wrench to get it moving. Don't use a plumbing wrench - even if you tape that ring really well the wrench's teeth will rip up the finish.
3. After the ring is off the flat plate like piece (sconce?) which is against the wall should come off. These are not threaded onto anything, they are held in place by the ring.
4. Now you should see a big nut which holds the stem in place. Remove the nut with the appropriate plumber's socket.
5. Pull out the stem.

If your house is old and has rusty pipes a big slug of rust can sometimes build up just upstream of the hot or cold valve resulting in a low flow condition on one side like what you describe. If that is what it is, after the stem is out turn the water on briefly and it will probably blow out the plug of rust.

Wow. Ok delta parts are like $12. Rebuild the whole thing. Prolly could’ve been done by now. Good luck and god bless.

Latest posts

Back