Three handle faucet against code in NY?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not in New York, but when you say it is against code, do you know why? Maybe it is against code unless the three handle valve is also installed with a tempering valve.
The reason why I say this is because the same is true in my area. Any replacement or update of plumbing valves/fixtures that are tubs, showers or body sprays must have a tempering valve to limit the water temperature as a safety against scalding.
A 3 handle is fine as long as the hot feed is tempered not to exceed 120 degrees F.
Is this work being done by a plumber? If so, he/she should know the answer.

I'm not in New York, but when you say it is against code, do you know why? Maybe it is against code unless the three handle valve is also installed with a tempering valve.
The reason why I say this is because the same is true in my area. Any replacement or update of plumbing valves/fixtures that are tubs, showers or body sprays must have a tempering valve to limit the water temperature as a safety against scalding.
A 3 handle is fine as long as the hot feed is tempered not to exceed 120 degrees F.
Is this work being done by a plumber? If so, he/she should know the answer.

Yup the work is being done by a plumber but I need to order the faucets before the job starts because I want sets without the diverter on the spout (just don't like that) and they are not stocked at Lowes and Home Depot.
The plumber's a sub so it's a little bit of a pain to get a question answered by him before he starts. A lady at Blackman, which is a large plumbing and bath fixture store around here, told me that they have been against code for 30 years due to scalding, but I see they are still sold in many places and I'm not sure whether the new ones have an anti-scald built in or whether they are just being sold as replacements and maybe you're allowed to use them if you already have one existing.

Here in So Calif. If it is a multi-unit bldg all tub/shower valve require a pressuer balanced valve. A single family home can still install the type of valve you want. You can get a valve like this with a pressure balance spool built into the valve. But then the valve is much more complecated and more costly to make. The single handle type are easier to make with the balance spool inthe the mixing cartridge. Like a Moen Posi-Temp

I would insist on an answer from the plumber. It may be a pain but it's your money being spent. If you don't get what you want, you may have regrets in the future. It shouldn't take more than a minute or two to get the answer. Supply houses aren't always the best resource for code info. They usually get their updates from the grapevine, not a governing body.
As Mr David said, there may be another reason not related to scalding or even a combination of the two scenarios that can easily be resolved to give you what you want.
Also, there is nothing illegal about selling a product even if the installation of the product is against code. Codes and installation practices vary enough and how the product is applied are just a few of the reasons you will not see every 3 handle tub/shower valve in New York removed from supplier's shelves.
I've never seen a 3 or 2 handle with a built in anti-scald, the tempering valve is usually connected to the hot supply before the mixing valve.

Latest posts

Back