Threaded joint problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenRob

Reaction score
I hired a professional to install whole house water filters in my home. There are several threaded joints that are now leaking, and they seem to be leaking a gel like consistency. The only thing in the joint is PTFE tape. Any thoughts about what might be causing this gel to drip?

Sounds like the guy used silicone or something on the threads along with the Teflon.

Call the guy back to correct his work if he has insurance/legit business.

Well, I had him back over to look at the problem. He says he’s not sure what’s causing the gel. He’s a veteran commercial plumber with a good reputation, and I don’t think he’s lying to me when he says it’s just ptfe tape in those threads. But it makes me nervous.

He did it a year ago. No one else has touched it. It’s been leaking for a while, it took me 6 months to get him back here because of pandemic safety issues.

It’s probably fungus mildew jelly crap that grows on slow leaks

Same thing grows in AC condensate drain.

That would be unpleasant, but a relief. He’s gonna fix the joints, I was concern with what might be causing the goo. Sounds like fixing the joints will take care of the goo.

Back