This little gem got dropped in my lap yesterday

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installing the 4" RPZ today. Here is the before picture.
You can see the 5" hole in the concrete floor to the right, I had this cored after we found out just how much equipment the city was requiring. Finished job pictures tomorrow.

ForumRunner_20131115_191215.jpg

Havasu in California they go by reduced pressure device or just rp. I have never heard of a rpz until this site.

Thanks guys. In my neck of the woods, we call them "expensive" and the metal thieves love to steal them for the recycling metal prices they bring.

Chris said:
Havasu in California they go by reduced pressure device or just rp. I have never heard of a rpz until this site.
In the Canadian plumbing code it's am assembly, back flow equipment that can be tested are assemblies, the rest like a regular check valve in known as a device.

Just a little tidbit

I guess the word assembly is tossed around here to.

And Havasu you are correct.

But Havasu's guess is the most fun. Who wouldn't want to see a zebra strap on a rocket?

Anyway, here are shots of yesterday's progress.

ForumRunner_20131117_055550.jpg

Let's check everyone's eyes. What is missing in the last two pictures?

ForumRunner_20131117_055637.jpg

ForumRunner_20131117_055710.jpg

There done differently over here. Both lines have meters and the bypass isn't locked. Most of the water is drawn through the bypass unless there is a large demand. I have questioned the people I now in the water dept. and they tell me that the larger meter shows very little change from month to month. The problem we see with this set up is the water in the larger device has very little movement. This in my option causes a large buildup of rust and scale the we are seeing in the larger device. I have suggested that they turn off the bypass to eliminate this problem but no one is listening. So I guess that we will continue to spend hours cleaning these devices when we service them.

Probably should toss a support or two under the bypass. That sure is an over complicated set up.

The second picture in that post will show several riser clamps on the 2" bypass that have all thread rod dropping down to anchors set into the concrete. So my riddle/quiz still hasn't been answered. I will leave it until the end of the day to see if anyone can spot the deficiency, then I will let the cat out of the bag.

How about handles for the valves? I dunno, I can't see the pictures too closely.

On the right hand section of the lower pipe, the 2" bypass, if you look really really close, you can see that it is missing a 2" meter flange. You can see the white from the teflon tape, marred with a little bit of puke tan from the Rectorseal #5. The supplier backordered that flange, but with the lockable Ford valves, I was able to install the system and isolate that section. Flange should be in tomorrow.

In less than 7 months, we have completed this project. It has been a tough job, from a manpower, material, and design standpoint. In fact, we just got approval on a "fabricated" area drain for the garage floors late last week, so I have to go back for that in a week or so.

93 apartment units, 2 floors of parking garage, flat roofs over the apartment units with primary roof drains and overflows, area drains for the courtyards on the 3rd floor, a triplex booster pump, clubhouse, leasing area on the 1st and 2nd floor. Structural steel beams conflicting with plumbing in many areas.

I have my lead man going in on Thursday to trim out 2 bathrooms, and if the tile guys don't get the grout in before then, they get to grout around us. I have been waiting on them since last Thursday.

When I go back there to help load the scissor lift and gang box, I will try to remember to get a picture of the almost painted building.

I am hoping that my employer made a lot of money on this project, and that I will see a nice bonus. Either way, I know that I did everything I could to make it happen.

Back