Thinset and Grout in Lines

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maineiac

Reaction score
I hired a tiling crew to install tile in my new house while I was away. When I returned, after about a day of using the toilet, shower, and sink, my toilet clogged up, eventually resulting in sewage coming up into my bathtub. I noticed what looked like thinset or grout in my sink and around the tub/shower drain, so I asked the contractor if they rinsed their tools and buckets in the sink, which he initially denied, but then suggested that it was possible that one of his crew may have improperly disposed of these materials. The contractor invited his plumber friend to come over to snake the toilet and the tub, which seemed to temporarily improve the drainage. But later that day, everything backed up again, so the contractor came over with a bottle of muriatic acid and poured it in the toilet. This has not yet freed things up, so the plumber is supposed to come over tomorrow to put a camera in the lines to see what is in there. The contractor is not admitting responsibility at this point, but said he will pay for the plumber if it is his materials that is determined to be responsible for the blockage. Any recommendations as to how to get this taken care of if it is a result of thinset or grout?

If it's hardened thin set in your piping I would want it replaced. No other option would do.

It should only be a small section. But after it's cut out the line needs to be inspected again to be sure it's clear the whole way.

He poured muriatic acid down the drain?! And he thought that might dissolve grout? (and hopefully there are no metal parts in contact with that drain, and that you are on a city sewer system instead of a septic system) I would want to have this inspected and repaired by a licensed qualified plumber, then send the bill and some of the debris to the contractor if that proves to be the cause. People can make mistakes, but when contractors send "their guys" out, and those people are under-qualified and under-trained, mistakes can be costly.

Thanks for the responses! The plumber did come yesterday and ran a camera through the lines to identify the obstruction. He was able to get it cleared within 3 hours, all the way to the municipal piping. The contractor is paying the bill.

Thanks for the responses! The plumber did come yesterday and ran a camera through the lines to identify the obstruction. He was able to get it cleared within 3 hours, all the way to the municipal piping. The contractor is paying the bill.
And was the obstruction a lump of hardened grout, or something else?

Latest posts

Back