Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frannisol

Reaction score
Hello, perplexed newbie here. Back in 9/19 a Georgetown TX tenant complained of low pressure at the kitchen faucet. Plastic was in the aerator (see pic). Same tenant had leaky bathtub spout last month 3/20. Same plastic in cartridge (Moen Brass Cartridge - 46-0012). I called city water and they came right out but didn’t find anything after purging at hose bib. Bathroom faucet leak returned after first shower, same plastic (see pic). Has anyone seen this? Definitely not calcium carbonate buildup.

I have cleaned out the cartridge and the aerator twice and plastic keeps coming back. Flushed water heater (Rheem 1997, porcelain lined) for about 10 min. No plastic came out. Not sure if it is a hot water only problem. I have a video of me removing the plastic from cartridge, not sure if I can post it? Thanks

Attachments

• 862C33EC-AA25-4434-AF06-F940739614BA.jpeg
    862C33EC-AA25-4434-AF06-F940739614BA.jpeg
    893.8 KB · Views: 11
  • C3C3212B-CD8C-428C-B1FD-CC047C94C396.jpeg
    C3C3212B-CD8C-428C-B1FD-CC047C94C396.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
Looks something like teflon tape, is it flexible, or brittle?

The plastic dip tube on a water heater can break down and clog up faucets.
But you would probably have seen chunks when you flushed the heater.
Some copper water systems were re-lined with a coating which can fail and also clog up faucets.
Minerals can form coatings in pipes, which then break off and chunks clog up faucets.
Whole house filters can have cartridges that are left on too long, and the cartridge can break down and release chunks of debris.

Another place to look would be in the washing machine hose connections. There's generally screens there.
I'm thinking there you have separate hot and cold lines and may help the search.

Looks something like teflon tape, is it flexible, or brittle?
Thank you, it’s thicker than Teflon tape, tears pretty easy, not much stretch. It was pack and folded like an accordion down inside the cartridge.

Thank you, that pretty much runs the gamut of possibilities. This is an small early 80’s duplex. No filters and it’s definitely plastic. How common are lined copper systems?

QUOTE="Jeff Handy, post: 124406, member: 17918"]
The plastic dip tube on a water heater can break down and clog up faucets.
But you would probably have seen chunks when you flushed the heater.
Some copper water systems were re-lined with a coating which can fail and also clog up faucets.
Minerals can form coatings in pipes, which then break off and chunks clog up faucets.
Whole house filters can have cartridges that are left on too long, and the cartridge can break down and release chunks of debris.
[/QUOTE]
T

Good idea, thanks

Another place to look would be in the washing machine hose connections. There's generally screens there.
I'm thinking there you have separate hot and cold lines and may help the search.

Thank you so much, this is likely the cause. The city did work on the water main for this home back in 9/19. Any idea how long it will take to flush out all of the shavings?

I would not even try to guess.
what you can do. is install a wye strainer on the house service line
at the meter.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Wye-Strainers-705000This would catch it before it enters your system.
You would have to clear the filter when you notice a drop in flow

I used to live in Buda.
Here is a little trip for you to make
drive south on the interstate to Kyle, on a wednesday evening
In Kyle. is a catfish house. go in and have dinner
sit back and enjoy the musicians that stop by to jam.
You NEVER know who might stop by

Last edited:
You’re the best! Thanks for the y-strainer and thanks for the day trip idea, sounds awesome!

FYI City of Georgetown plumber is saying that Georgetown only uses blue pipe. So he insists that cannot be the cause lol

Wye-Strainers: I remember reading that the major reason "glass-lined" Water Heaters failed was small stones in coming into tank, under pressure, and cracking the glass coating. Then the steel tank could begin to rust.
So, another possible benefit of a wye strainer.

Latest posts

Back