Thermostatic radiator valve.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdestuck

Reaction score
Have a circular pump hot water boiler for heat in my home. Our bedroom on the second floor gets a good bit warmer than the rest of the house. As I’ve heard about these TRV before I’ve been reading up on them and debating about installing one to reduce the water flow to cut back on the heat. I’ve done a good bit of plumbing and installing cast iron baseboard heat so I’m confident this is within my skill level.

So besides the diameter of my threaded supply lines is there anything else I need to consider? I’ve seen a couple manufacturers and wondering about the Honeywells. These things do the job I’m hoping to get? Thanks in advance.

Is the line going to the second floor separate? If so you could put in a Honeywell zone valve and a thermostat upstairs
and then you would have control of the temp.

Is the line going to the second floor separate? If so you could put in a Honeywell zone valve and a thermostat upstairs
and then you would have control of the temp.

No, all three floors are on one zone and would probably cost a mint to replumb them in the basement to create separate zones. Was just thinking this would be a reason solution if they do work as advertised

What type of piping system do you have distributing hot water to multiple radiators on 3 levels?
May I assume it's a mono-flow type system?

So many questions to ask-
Are the baseboard heaters your basic baseboard convector radiators? If so, have you tried closing down the damper on the top?
Is this something that has only happened recently or has been a problem all along?
If all 3 floors are on one zone, is this a two-pipe system, with each radiator taking hot water from the supply pipe and returning to the return pipe?
How big is the house (sq.ft.)? Three floors sounds like a lot for one zone for a series or mono-flow piping system (the water would cool down as it goes around the loop, so radiators farther from the boiler will be cooler).
A thermostatic valve would only work with a two-pipe or mono-flow piping layout.

So many questions to ask-
Are the baseboard heaters your basic baseboard convector radiators? If so, have you tried closing down the damper on the top?
Is this something that has only happened recently or has been a problem all along?
If all 3 floors are on one zone, is this a two-pipe system, with each radiator taking hot water from the supply pipe and returning to the return pipe?
How big is the house (sq.ft.)? Three floors sounds like a lot for one zone for a series or mono-flow piping system (the water would cool down as it goes around the loop, so radiators farther from the boiler will be cooler).
A thermostatic valve would only work with a two-pipe or mono-flow piping layout.

our house is a 1930s era brick home with the standard older style cast-iron radiators except in a first floor addition which is loaded with cast-iron baseboard. The type of system I have is a two pipe, direct return boiler set up. So by shutting or restricting one radiator, It should not affect any of the other radiators. The room I’m speaking of is over insulated compared to the rest of the second floor thus a few degrees warmer.

So I’m just asking if anyone has used and had any luck or improvement using these thermostatic radiator valves.

This is my system

Attachments

• E16E11B4-064D-42BC-AC6F-37ACF33FFC41.jpeg
    E16E11B4-064D-42BC-AC6F-37ACF33FFC41.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 6
The answer is yes, they work well in that application. I have a few clients with them, including newer installations with more modern wall hung radiators. Be sure that they are exposed to the room (and not blocked) so that they can sense room temperature.

The answer is yes, they work well in that application. I have a few clients with them, including newer installations with more modern wall hung radiators. Be sure that they are exposed to the room (and not blocked) so that they can sense room temperature.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on these. Price seems pretty easy on these. I see they Honeywell valve and top control totals just north of a hundred bucks. Guess I’ll break out the pipe wrenches. Tks.

Hey fixitron is throttling down the standard angle valve on the radiator an option?
I know it wouldn't be as good as a TRV.

Hey fixitron is throttling down the standard angle valve on the radiator an option?
I know it wouldn't be as good as a TRV.

Thinking if I’m going to drain down the system and taking off the old valve, I might as well get the TRV so I can be flexible with adjustments.

Last edited:
Back