The water stinks!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Blow

Reaction score
Hi. I live on Lake Ontario and have a shorewell drawing water from the lake.
Last fall I had the well cleaned, dropped a chlorine tab in it, have a filtering/softening/chlorination system at the house. I put in a new hot water heater. It was fine for a while until the hot water began to smell. There was an anode rod which came with the heater, but I changed it to a magnesium rod. I did drain the tank, which is only 1 1/2 years old now. After a few months the hot water began to really smell bad. I replaced the magnesium with with a 50/50 zinc and aluminum rod, and drained the tank again. The water was perfect. After 3 months the water smells again. I drained the tank the other night, but there really wasn't any particulate in it. The hot water still smells. I don't want to remove the rod entirely because I don't want all those deposits sticking to the lining of the tank. I read there is a bacteria in wells that reacts with magnesium rods, but not so much with zinc. Wouldn't that be removed by the chlorine? I also had the filter system redone--new media for the softener and the filter, and a new chlorine pump. I maintain the salt and chlorine, and flush the chlorine reservoir once a month. Unfortunately, I don't see the difference in the anode rod material. Is there anything else I can do?

Latest posts

Back