Testing my sump pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmenier

Reaction score
I have lived in my current house for about 7 years. I've never tested my sump pump and to be honest, I don't recall ever actually witnessing it run. Knock on wood, my basement has always been completely dry. But I live in Minnesota and like many parts of the country we had an unusually heavy amount of snow this winter. It's late March and the thaw is slowly but surely under way and it seems like a good year to test it.

I've read it's simply a matter of dumping water into the hole, but in looking down there I have some concerns. See attached pics. Mainly, the electrical cords. (I assume that's what they are anyway.) Is it ok to assume that if dumping buckets of water in there submerges them, they'll be fine? Also, any concerns with how dirty it looks down there?

I've confirmed the power source it's plugged into is woking, but that's about it. I figure my options are either dump a bunch of water in there and see what happens, or call a plumber and have it professionally inspected/cleaned. Any advice?

Also, overnight temps have still been below freezing and no doubt the ground is still very frozen. In a cold climate, is it better to wait a bit and do this when it's warmer out?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• sp1.jpg
    sp1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • sp2.jpg
    sp2.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Update: Thanks to this helpful video I learned why I have 2 power cords and how to test the pump by bypassing the float switch and plugging the pump in directly. I did that and the pump does sound like it runs. Of course that's not an adequate test of the whole system and my questions remain, but I just wanted to mention it.

You may not be able to fill it past the point where those two pipes come in, because you will have to fill them up and whatever it is that they are coming from. However, you should be able to fill it up to that level and then manually lift the pump switch and see the remaining water goes out. Check the sump pump output piping to make sure it’s not clogged broken or frozen somewhere.

That is one dry sump pit. I dont think anyone has even spit in that thing. Is your home located in a desert. I wish i had that problem.
LOL...yes that may be indicative of not having a problem. But with the ground still frozen solid I thought maybe it's typical for this time of year. I live in the complete opposite of a desert. :)

I think my strategy will just be to check it once to twice a week over the next couple months and make sure it stays dry. Even in the worst case I imagine it filling up would be a sloooow process.

Latest posts

Back