Temporary install, water heater outdoors

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palladini

Reaction score
I have the electric water heater that was removed (went gas) just before I moved in to this house a year ago. During the last part of the week that ends with August 13th 2010. I intend to put this water heater to use for some temporary showers I intend to put up for some visitors on my farm's lawn. I have the connections from the water heater to the 2 shower heads figured out, I have hydro and water feeds figured out, I am going to run a 220 volt "extension" cord from my house out with a 31 foot outdoor cable. The only thing I do not know is what line (cold water intake or hot water outlet) goes to this fitting pictured, it is on the very bottom, on side of water heater? The only other pipe on this comes out of the top dead center of the heater

Lower pipe.jpg

No matter what type water heater you have, they all have 3 3/4" openings on them. One is for cold water inlet, one for hot water outlet and one for the Pressure/temperature Relief valve, which is what is sticking out on the end of the piping in your picture. Not sure why there is a shut-off valve located before it, since that is illegal and dangerous. I had a mobile home that had the cold water inlet coupling mounted at the bottom of the tank and the outlet pipe was at the top, with the Pressure relief valve mounted on the upper side of the tank. Most units have the drain valve where your picture is showing.

When I read you were using a 220v extension cord to heat an indoor water heater outside, I began to shake. As I read further and saw the TPR valve positioned in that manner, my shaking turned to tremors. All I will say is please reconsider this extremely unsafe idea!

What is in that picture pointing towards the top is a cut off pipe, not a valve. Drain tap is on bottom, maybe as circles go, 70 degrees away. This heater has punched, but not through, the word 'HOT" on the top.
Not going to be an actual extension cord, will have wiring installed on heater as 220 wiring should be. 41 foot cord plugged into 220 volt outlet I have in Basement, through open basement window. Water heater is to be set on skid, strapped to steel flagpole. Use HPVC (?) pipes to shower heads. Then when it's all done and guests arrive, all I can say is "It's Friday the 13th in Port Dover! Yay"

If you have to ask what friday 13th and Port Dover are, visit www.myfri13.com goto the contact page and view the video I have there. It was shot on Friday the 13th two years ago. My farm is only 25.2 KM from Port Dover

Looks like my last trip to Sturgis! Sounds like a great time!

As Majakdragon said, water heaters have three orifices. One for hot, one for cold, and one for drain (before the TPR made them a 4 holer). I would venture to say this water heater was modified because the TPR should be on the HOT side, not the COLD side. If they ran the cold water line into the hot orifice, the original cold water orifice would be the hot outlet. This is also the location of the existing TPR valve. If I am beginning to confuse you, it would be my guess that someone installed this water heater backwards from the beginning. It would work, but would not be very efficient.

This is only a guess, and doesn't negate the fact that this is still something I would never recommend.

Last edited:
Hello
I moved that valve to the top, hooked the cold water to the opening pictured above, the hot water to a 't' . worked great guests loved it.
I saw a post, i think it was on 'pd13' on facebook, which is open to all that look. This post said that they had been to Bike Week in Florida and that Friday the 13th in Port Dover had a better atmosphere to it that the Daytona event. I will have a video up of my visit to Port Dover on Friday, just have to get my website to play the movie. www.myfri13.com

Here are some pics from Port Dover on Friday. They estimated 150 to 170 thousand bikes and 200 thousand people invaded the town of 5500

port dover 2010 031 (1077 x 808).jpg

Fri13 (238 x 178).jpg

Last edited:
Having lived in Florida for 11 years, I could see the "end is near" for Daytona Bike Week. It is nothing more than a ticket trap and a chance for motels to rake in money. A cheap motel that usually charged $39 per night, raised to over $200 per night with a one week minimum. Cops were everywhere and had their ticket books at the ready.

Back