Temperature actuated valve for hot water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txh2oskier

Reaction score
Hello,
I have installed a passive solar water heater in "front" of my electric water heater. As part of this installation I have included ball valves so that I can bypass one or the other of these. If the sun doesn't shine I bypass the tank on the roof, if the solar tank is sufficient (30 gals) I can bypass the electric water heater. I'd like to upgrade this so that the valves are automatically temperature controlled. If the water in the solar tank is warmer than my well water (55 degrees), I want to feed the electric water heater from the solar tank.

Any ideas on where I might find the appropriate valves to do this?

Thanks.
Brian

Hello,
I have installed a passive solar water heater in "front" of my electric water heater. As part of this installation I have included ball valves so that I can bypass one or the other of these. If the sun doesn't shine I bypass the tank on the roof, if the solar tank is sufficient (30 gals) I can bypass the electric water heater. I'd like to upgrade this so that the valves are automatically temperature controlled. If the water in the solar tank is warmer than my well water (55 degrees), I want to feed the electric water heater from the solar tank.

Any ideas on where I might find the appropriate valves to do this?

Thanks.
Brian

A website that sells solar hot water automation supplies.

None of that will do what the OP wants to do. He’s not trying to temper his water......

He needs a set of solenoids that open and close based off the temps in two separate tanks.

Look at the last entry, might be better.

It still wouldn’t do what he’s asking.

Personally I’d want to drain the solar collector on the roof to prevent any freezing in winter or overheating in summer.

Then use the solar tank as a tempering tank for my existing electric water heater.

I wouldn’t ever bypass it.

Sounds like the system he has now is totally hand operated.

Back