Temp fix for water pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had been getting air in the line and now lost all water together we have turned off the water pump and the hot water heater at their breakers. We found the problem was a cracked coupler just after the check valve. Once we stated taking it apart we found a lot more problems all the way back to the pipe that come out of the ground were they drilled. The pipe that comes out of the ground were they drilled has an elbow on it that had a converter peace that went from galvanized pipe to PVC when we unscrewed the converter peace we found that the treads had broke off inside the elbow. For a temporary fix we were thinking of cutting off just down past the elbow and for now just to get water back till we can get a plumper using a radiator hose from a car with hose clamps and convert that over to PVC. Is this something that will work or would there be to much suction coming out of the well to the pump and possible colaps the water house ? If so is there a better temp fix for now?

That elbow is probably what is holding the pump. Unless there is a coupling below the elbow, sitting on a well seal, the elbow is holding all the weight. I would use a hack saw blade and carefully cut the plastic inside the elbow down to the metal threads. If you do this in a couple of places you cab pry out the parts between the cuts. If you don't mess up the metal threads you can just screw in another PVC male adapter.

No it comes up out of the ground to the elbow then over to pvc then there is about 6 inches or so then the check valve then another 6 inches then into the pump

Oh I thought it was a submersible. With a jet pump just cut whatever you need to fix the suction leak.
Fixed, but now we have cloudy water that clears up in a few mins im thinking air. the pressure switch is 20/30 and the gauge is saying 62psi when it cuts off tried to back of the pressure switch but no matter witch way we go the gauge still says 62psi we are going to replace the gauge and then see were the psi really is im thinking if the pressure is to high thats were the air in the water is coming from.

Yeah your gauge is stuck. 20/30 switch is not common. 20/40, 30/50. or 40/60 is common. If you are sure there are no more suction leaks, the well could be sucking dry and the pump is picking up air that way. But cloudy water makes me think you still have a suction leak. I can't tell from the pics but plastic pipe into the suction is usually where the suction leak happens. A short metal nipple on the pump suction is best.

Latest posts

Back