Tankless water heater and Circulator pump

Discussion in 'Water Heaters and Softeners' started by jparker371, Oct 2, 2018.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 2, 2018 #1

jparker371

jparker371

jparker371

Im hoping someone can help. We just purchased a home with a tankless water heater (natural gas) and the water takes a long time to get hot. There is an Grundfos Alpha1 circulator pump that ties into the hot water line next to the water heater in the crawlspace but it isnt plugged in. Could this be the source of the problem? Our last home had a tankless hot water heater powered by natural gas but I wasnt aware that we had a circulator pump in that home. Anyone who could shed light on how this system is setup to operate would be greatly appreciated.

2. Oct 2, 2018 #2

havasu

havasu

havasu

Administrator Staff Member Admin

Many tankless water heaters have built in circulator pumps. What brand do you have.

3. Oct 2, 2018 #3

mdk0420

mdk0420

mdk0420

Are the faucets far from the water heater? Does that circulator pump make a loop? I've heard of people setting up a loop with a special valve or sensor so that the pipes can have hot water right near each faucet for quick hot water. I was actually thinking of doing something similar myself because my tankless hot water heater needs to make a trip of around 45 feet before it reaches my first faucet. Even with half inch lines it still takes a good while to get hot water there.

4. Oct 2, 2018 #4

Jamesplumbing06

Jamesplumbing06

Jamesplumbing06

If your going to circulate then get rid of tankless. The heater is constantly running while circulating. So in stead of only hearing what you need at 180,000 btu. Your heating extra to be ready for you in a set time. Even putting in a holding tank rated for hot water. You will kick on 2-3 times a day.
    So compare a tank style. Kicks on 2-3 times a day and only pulls 75,000 btu.
    Best choice will be decided by your priority of time to get hot water to you vs how long you want that hot water serving you after it reaches you. Like my wife takes 60 minute showers twice a day. So we have a tankless. She turns hot on and sits to pee. Physically takes 85 seconds to reach our shower Then adjusts cold and she sitting pretty for as long as I can keep gas bill paid. Or like my mom who hates wasting the cold water to get hot. I got her set up on tank and circ pump. But most in the past that I set up like that have turned off pump and just wait for water because the gas bill sky rockets.
    O and if pump is on timer then you forget to go reset time every electrical outage and your heating water at various parts of the day but when you need it.y company has learned to situate the heater about middle of the house.

5. Oct 2, 2018 #5

Geofd

Geofd

Geofd

Professional Professional

I have an oil fires boiler with a tankless...no circulator.....I always got good hot water bu what I did was separated 1st fl and 2nd floor hot water feeds now I can isolate each floor separately