Tankless issues

Discussion in 'Water Heaters and Softeners' started by Preston1977, Jan 17, 2018.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating using the link above.
  1. Jan 17, 2018 #1

Preston1977

Preston1977

Preston1977

At the end of August I replaced the old tank water heater with a tankless Rheem RTG-84 XLP-1 and it’s been very disappointing. My house is a 2 bath home, both bathrooms are about 35’ away from the water heater. No matter the temperature outside the water heater is very inconsistent with providing hot water. The hot side of the valve can only be slightly on to provide hot water to either tub, if I crank the valve wide open the pressure drops drastically and the water gets room temperature at best. The 2 showers, kitchen sink and bathroom sinks get just above room temperature but keep pressure.

Has anyone experienced this and if so how’d you resolve it? I’ve had 2 plumbers out and neither can figure out. I’ve reset it with no luck and checked the filter. Calling customer service gets me no where. I’ve seen a YouTube video where the home was comparable to mine and plumber installed 2 tankless water heaters in tandem with no problems. Thanks in advance, Preston

2. Jan 17, 2018 #2

havasu

havasu

havasu

Administrator Staff Member Admin

Have you read the reviews for this unit? Not too favorable. I would either return and replace this unit, or add a recirculating system.

3. Jan 17, 2018 #3

Preston1977

Preston1977

Preston1977

Unfortunately i didn't read them until day 2 after the install 😐🔫. I tried a recirculating pump but the water heater constantly threw a fault code. I kinda have been leaning towards replacing it with a different brand and I was prepared for that answer lol, it’s such a turd

4. Jan 18, 2018 #4

havasu

havasu

havasu

Administrator Staff Member Admin

I had a Navien TWH installed, and it comes with a recirc pump built into it, along with a hot water chamber to stop the hot/cold/hot system. I loved it until I sold that house.

5. Jan 18, 2018 #5

CT-18

CT-18

CT-18

Professional Professional

you need to know temp rise at what flow rate. If your water comes in the house at 65 and you want 120 out that is your rise. So you need to find the flow rate at 55-degree rise. It is throttling down because it can only heat so much water at such a flow rate.

I wish people would educate themselves because some of these companies only want to make the sale. Then it is to bad for you.

johnjh2o likes this.
  6. Jan 18, 2018 #6

Socal37plumber

Socal37plumber

Socal37plumber

You might want to check,the gas line feeding your water heater.I come across many tankless heaters.And they are installed,without the installer doing the correct gas calculations.
    Btw way Rheem in general isn't the best manufacturer out there.Norowitz is the tankless I install.

7. Jan 19, 2018 #7

Preston1977

Preston1977

Preston1977

Yeah I certainly didn’t do enough homework before I made the purchase. I was solely focusing on gpm. I didn’t know there was a more to it than that nor did the plumber I work along side of give me that much guidance.

8. Jan 19, 2018 #8

Preston1977

Preston1977

Preston1977

The gas company down here came by prior and did the calculations and told me what I needed to do to get the btu’s. I had to put the house on a 2lbs system with 2 separate lines beyond the meter each with its own regulator. 1 line feeds the house while the 2nd is solely for the water heater. The line to the water heater is 1”, 27’ in total length, only 1 90 and reduces down 4” from the the water heater.

9. Jan 19, 2018 #9

Preston1977

Preston1977

Preston1977

I’m currently looking at a Rinnai RU98EN. I can pick it up for around $1300 shipped, twice the cost of that rheem but if it works then it’s worth it. I just have to do some research on the temperature rise. I’m about 10 miles SE of New Orleans so we only get this freezing weather for a week or 2 out the year so the water temperature out the ground usually isn’t freezing cold.